LegacyGT.com

DIY Grille?

SuperhawkLGT

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Are you using those fiberglass sheets and bondo to fill the blank spots? I'm planning on doing that to mine this summer.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
I was thinking of that too- is that what they call Cat's hair? I'm worried that Bondo might crack and my mesh would fall off.

That fill work looks awesome. I'm planning on redoing mine sometime soon. I left the gaps unfilled but I think they need filling.

As far as attaching the mesh. I just drilled some holes through some of the plastic structural supports along the back and used zip-ties to attach the mesh. With enough of them, it holds fine and is easy to undo.

I'm gonna need your help on my first DIY bondo/fiberglass filler kit...

(flame suit sooo sooo ready :D)

Went to Kragen and saw;

1. bondo "fiberglass repair kit"

2. bondo Polyester Fiberglass Resin

3. bondo "Bondo-Glass" Short strand fiberglass filler

4. bondo "Bondo-Hair" Long strand reinforced fiberglass filler

- which one should I get? and what # sand papers do I need from start to finish? Thanks!

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I'm gonna need your help on my first DIY bondo/fiberglass filler kit...

(flame suit sooo sooo ready :D)

Went to Kragen and saw;

1. bondo "fiberglass repair kit"

2. bondo Polyester Fiberglass Resin

3. bondo "Bondo-Glass" Short strand fiberglass filler

4. bondo "Bondo-Hair" Long strand reinforced fiberglass filler

- which one should I get? and what # sand papers do I need from start to finish? Thanks!

Any of those would be fine, I used a piece of flat aluminum I had lying around and clamped it to the inside of the bottom section of the grille. I coated the aluminum with grease so the resin would not stick to it. I then laid some fiberglass sheet over the bottom of the grille and then put the resin over it and brushed it in until it was flush with the sides, making sure the sheet was tucked up to the edges. When it was dry I removed the metal piece and cleaned the grille with some prepsol. I used bare sheets on the sides and just coated them in resin and contoured them the the sides of the grille. I then spread the bondo over the areas of fiberglass and then set to work sanding with 180 grit. I sanded the whole grille with 180 and even rougher on the chrome, that is tough stuff! It took several coats of bondo and a ton of sanding to get it smooth.

When the bondo was as good as I could get it, I then used a small amount of glazing putty to fill in some small pin wholes. I sanded the glazing putty and the rest of the grille with 600 grit till it was as smooth as a babies ass. I then shot it with adhesion promoter, several light coats, and then the same of primer, making sure not to miss any spots. Now I just need to get some 33j paint and finish it off. Enjoy!

Any of those would be fine, I used a piece of flat aluminum I had lying around and clamped it to the inside of the bottom section of the grille. I coated the aluminum with grease so the resin would not stick to it. I then laid some fiberglass sheet over the bottom of the grille and then put the resin over it and brushed it in until it was flush with the sides, making sure the sheet was tucked up to the edges. When it was dry I removed the metal piece and cleaned the grille with some prepsol. I used bare sheets on the sides and just coated them in resin and contoured them the the sides of the grille. I then spread the bondo over the areas of fiberglass and then set to work sanding with 180 grit. I sanded the whole grille with 180 and even rougher on the chrome, that is tough stuff! It took several coats of bondo and a ton of sanding to get it smooth.

When the bondo was as good as I could get it, I then used a small amount of glazing putty to fill in some small pin wholes. I sanded the glazing putty and the rest of the grille with 600 grit till it was as smooth as a babies ass. I then shot it with adhesion promoter, several light coats, and then the same of primer, making sure not to miss any spots. Now I just need to get some 33j paint and finish it off. Enjoy!

WOW..thanks!!!:) ...I am so stoked...just dremeled the middle piece out...getting excited to continue this project...lots of new terminology but I'll be checking back with you guys very often :icon_bigg ..thanks again for all your inputs!

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Archived