LegacyGT.com

Wagon sunroof shade solution

redline76

Hello,

If you have a Ltd wagon, perhaps you've been plagued by one or more issues with your sunroof shade. My first problem was that the shade would fly open under "brisk" acceleration. Annoying to say the least. My dealer supposedly replaced the clips which keep the shade closed, and this more or less worked. Post repair driving then revealed a never-ending rattle which practically made me put my fist through the shade on several occasions.

The fix for both problems is available at your local Home Depot.

In the section that has Velcro and Furniture bumpers, you'll find a product called "Heavy Duty Felt Furniture Pads". These come in strips of about 1/2" X 5".

Open the shade, remove the adhesive backing, and stick 'em on the top inside edge of the molding which runs the perimeter of the sunroof. It's the textured rubbery part which is the same color as the felt pad in your hands.

I placed two strips lengthwise on each side (running front to back) at the front, and one strip on the leading edge of the molding, pushed as far to the front as possible so I don't see it when the shade is closed.

These strips may look thin, but they provide the perfect amount of tension on the roof to keep it firmly closed and kill any rattle. I'll post up a couple of pics after lunch.

Good luck and I hope this helps solve one of the more annoying "features" of this car.

I get a rattle when it is open even partially. Rattle goes away when it fully closes. I haven't been able to find what is rattling. Any ideas?

The shade just fits loose (kind of like the rear side compartment covers)

Try the felt pad trick; it'll work miracles, I promise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived