LegacyGT.com

Air Condition problem on my new Legacy GT

kelviny

Hi everyone, I just get my new 05 Legacy GT only 2 days, but I have a problem on air condition, I turn on air condition with auto temperature control enable, I found the air compresser turn off and on itself, sometime, it turn it off suddenly, and so obvious that you feel the warm air come out, and then it turn on again with cool air, and very fast it suddenly come out the warm air again.

The problem also happen even though I turn on air condition without auto temperature control, I feel sudden it have cool, and then sudden come out the warm air, then for little while it come out the cool air again, and this status keep going on when the car is moving and when it is in parking mode.

I really upset, and don't know what's going on, this is my first subaru, does anyone have any idea, please give me some advise or idea, thank You very much.

Something like that happened to me when I first got my Legacy. I took it back to the dealer and they hooked it up to the A/C machine, and after that it worked fine, like the system just needed to be primed. So if I were you I would make an appointment with your dealer's service department as soon as possible to get that looked at.

FYI, I haven't heard of this happening to anybody else, so it's apparently an extremely rare occurance.

I am not sure how rare this is. I am having a problem with my AC, too, and I recall someone else posting with an issue.

My car has been at the dealer getting the bumpers repainted, and they are checking out the AC at the same time. Unfortunately, the weather has been cool, so they have not recreated the issue. They are in agreement with me that I should not pick up my car until they have recreated the issue and attempted to solve it. They have been nice enough to give me a new Forester as a free loaner. The only bad this is, I am starting to miss my car... :(

My AC issue sounds a little different in that it is very consistent. When initially turned on the system blows cold air, but after 5-10 minutes the cold air stops, and only warm/hot air is blown. The cold air will not restart until the inside of the car is cooled down using other means (e.g. open windows, park in garage, etc.). This does not happen when the ambient temperature is not too high or if the car has been parked in the garage overnight.

Others on this board have suggested that the refrigerant level may be too high, and the system has a pressure sensor that causes it to turn the compressor off when the pressure gets too high because it is working too hard. If this is the case, it should be an easy fix.

I am not sure how rare this is. I am having a problem with my AC, too, and I recall someone else posting with an issue.

My car has been at the dealer getting the bumpers repainted, and they are checking out the AC at the same time. Unfortunately, the weather has been cool, so they have not recreated the issue. They are in agreement with me that I should not pick up my car until they have recreated the issue and attempted to solve it. They have been nice enough to give me a new Forester as a free loaner. The only bad this is, I am starting to miss my car... :(

My AC issue sounds a little different in that it is very consistent. When initially turned on the system blows cold air, but after 5-10 minutes the cold air stops, and only warm/hot air is blown. The cold air will not restart until the inside of the car is cooled down using other means (e.g. open windows, park in garage, etc.). This does not happen when the ambient temperature is not too high or if the car has been parked in the garage overnight.

Others on this board have suggested that the refrigerant level may be too high, and the system has a pressure sensor that causes it to turn the compressor off when the pressure gets too high because it is working too hard. If this is the case, it should be an easy fix.

Almost sounds like your A/C compressor is overheating and shutting itself down.

Right. From what I am understanding, kelviny's situation is normal, provided the car interior is being maintained at a comfortable temperature.

Mine is different. Once the cold air stops, it never comes back whether I use auto or manual controls. The inside temp could go to 95, but the cold air will never start again.

Sorry Sube... I was referring to kelviny.. Yea, your's sounds like a definate malfunction.. Perhaps you developed a leak or low pressure condition which causes compressor overheating.. Hopefully the dealer gets it figured out..

Thank you everyone give me some idea, and advice, now I try to make appointment first to fix it from dealer, I hope this problem will be little problem, and easy to fix. I Love this car, however, this is my first time to drive this brand name, I have no experience on it specially on the Turbo Model. If I have any good news, I will post it on, thank you helping!

If I have any question, please help me again, thanks.

I just test drove a GT yesterday and experienced the warm/cold air output fluctuation. I as well as the salemen found it to be very annoying and not what one would expect to be Normal characteristics of a climate control system. 5 seconds it would be cool, then 5 seconds warm, then it would get really cold and back to warm. ARGH!! It sounds like it is happening to several people some of which are writing it off to normal behavior and others like me who find it offensive. I've had climate control in my current car for 3 years and it never behaved this way in the least. Hopefully it is the A/C overcharge thing and it can be corrected. Seems like SIA would be doing these things right to begin with. Sorry for the rant. I really want to get this car and it makes me mad that issues like this can kill the deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be sure... because I finally figured out the mystery of the HVAC system..

are you guys using the defrost option? This is on the right knob, top button.

This supposedly turns on the compressor but does not blow cold air..

you must also make sure both knobs are turned to 65 for max cooling.

Also check around your internal temp sensors... it may be confused as to your internal temp... it might think the car is colder then it really is, and therefore lessening the cold air..

I had the master mechanic at my dealer in Houston evaluate this issue yesturday. He observed the issue and checked all of the A/C levels and pressures. The system was not overcharged or under spec. He said the compresser and several of the system componets are new for 2005 so there is not alot of history. His plan was to discuss the problem with Subaru tech line (a tech hotline for their mechanics I guess) and then come back to me. Since it is getting cooler here it's not a killer concern but I of course want it resolved. I have a friend that just bought a new Legacy GT (2.5+turbo same as my Outback) and he does not have the issue. I will update when I know more.

• 5 years later...
I just bought a 2005 legacy outback and I am having the same issue. The A/C blows very cold for 5 seconds, then it blows warmer air for 5 seconds and then back to cold for 5 seocnds and keeps repeating. This is very annoying as I have to replace some other things as well. Hopefully I didn't get a lemon. Please let me know what you find out, I'd really like to get this fixed and don't want to pay the dealer all the money they want.

• 9 years later...
Any closure on this issue? I know it is an older thread but I'd like to know what fixed it, because I have the same issue now and no one can figure it out. Three Comprssors, new freon charge new orings, new condenser, new receiver dryer, basically everything firewall forard has been replaced at least once and it still is not working.