LegacyGT.com

Windshield moulding problem

Has anyone had this problem or heard of this? A couple of months ago a semi threw up a stone which hit my windshield about midway up right by the passenger side A pillar. Within moments a crack traveled horizontially about a third of the way across the windshield. Yes, I've read the posts on this forum about Subaru's crappy glass.

I took the car into the dealership's bodyshop for a windshield replacement. When I returned later in the day after the repair was completed, the bodyshop manager said he wanted to talk to me. He said the Legacy windshield moulding material was defective and would soon curl. Sure enough, one side already had a wave in it. It has gotten worse since then.

In any case, he said they replaced the windshield three times in another Legacy with the same result. He said he had called SOA and they were aware of the problem, were looking for a different moulding supplier and hoped to have a fix in a couple of months.

Now I should mention this is a respected dealer that also sells Chev/GMC and is generally rated as the best vehicle dealership in the area. I have had nothing but good experiences with them while buying the GT or getting them to fix minor things after delivery.

I'm just surprised this defect hasn't been mentioned on this forum if it's a known issue. And yes, I did a search.

Uuuugh, I hope this does not happen to me since the people the dealership sent the car to get the windshield replced messed up the inside a-pillar cover. I am getting the covered replaced this Friday under warranty, but I really do not want them to touch it anymore.

I will chek mine and see how it looks.

X

---

I would imagine it is common on replacements after reading the post from above. I actually haven't had time to mess with it. As long as it continues to not make any noise or leak right now; I am not going to mess with it until I have time to. When I first saw it, I figured the installer screwed up but now I think it is a part problem.

YIKES! ,,,,,, I'm having my windshield replaced tomorrow(stone chip that grew) by Safelite,they said the seal was a dealer only part and would take an extra day to get.I'll keep an eye on the install and let you guys know how it went.

Rudy

YIKES! ,,,,,, I'm having my windshield replaced tomorrow(stone chip that grew) by Safelite,they said the seal was a dealer only part and would take an extra day to get.I'll keep an eye on the install and let you guys know how it went.

Rudy

Sounds good.

So I have been hit with the windshield molding curling problem! I just checked my car out tonight and I have it on both sides! the driver's side is worse than the passenger side. I have an appointment tomorrow to fix the a pillar moulding they broke, so I will inform them of this. Honestly if it was not for this thread it would have taken me a while to notice it. I hate little things like this!!!!

Sorry for the low quality pics, garage + cellphone camera = bad pics.

X

91150860293_3300.jpg.bd3c6e80aef9ed445ff626590d8d87b5.jpg

91150945797_3300.jpg.c749f3a26eefce0ff405f48f814f4232.jpg

---

Rudy

Well, I had the windshield installed today,they used the Subaru factory rubber seal and I have no ripples as of now.I'll keep an eye on it fr awhile to see if things change.

The tech told me they haven't had any probs from the seals from Subaru as far as he knows.

Rudy

yup asked her the same, and she said they never heard of it, of course. also said they almost never replace subaru windshields there. I'll get it replaced as many times as I need to.

X

---

I have the same problem on mine (after the windshield was replaced this past spring).

I've been buying new cars for the last 25 years, and this one is by far the worst for fit/finish, even though it was one of the most expensive purchases (sigh).

• 3 weeks later...

I got my moulding/gasket replaced again today. This time they were more careful and did not really stain or ruin any interior part, but the side passenger A-pillar cover is a little dirty, but nothing too bad. They did manage to get some grease on the outside of the car, but I have cleaned that already. The dealer's service department has been very responsive, and they have replaced the windshield/gasket in one day everytime.

We'll see if this one lasts or if it gets all distorted. If it does distort, and it is not too bad, I may just leave it like that. I think the danger of getting something else messed up while fixing the moulding is greater than the benefit. I worry so much whenever I leave my baby at the dealership. They did drive it 3 miles, so I guess the shop is nearby.

On another note their rental loaners suck. I got a 05 Ford Taurus, and even though it was the SE model it still sucked big time! I felt like I was 80 driving that POS! And what a gas guzzler it is! Opened the hood to see what it had in it, and it was a 3.0 - 6 cylinder. Thank god that I have my car back!

X

---

I was at the dealership last week for an oil change/tire rotation. I asked the service manager if there's been a fix for this yet. He said no, and seemed quite frustrated. He showed me the one of the windshield seal relacements from his parts inventory and how they receive them...in a plastic bag, all rolled up. The seal has a pull off strip over the adhesive part and he said wherever the seal is crimped as it's put in the bag, the adhesive dosen't stick when it's actually used in a windshield replacement. He added when windshields are installed at the factory, the seals are flat and not rolled up like the replacement part.

He also said I'm the third customer that's waiting for this fix and SOA is pissing him off... This dealership has their own bodyshop and I noticed no interior staining problems or other ancilliary sloppiness when the windshield was replaced. This is a really good dealer and if I was looking for a Spec B, I'd sure give them a call about the one in their show room they are worried about selling.

Archived