LegacyGT.com

Throttle control, Leg 2.5i Limited Wag Manual

One thing I have noticed is that the throttle does not seem to decrease smoothly when you slowing take you foot off the gas. When I am going along in a gear and slowly let up on the throttle there seems to be a sudden increase in engine braking just as you get to completely take your foot off the throttle. When you apply a little throttle (after having taken your foot completely off), the engine seems to surge - there may also be some slop / play in the drive train that compounds the problem. Net effect is that is almost impossible to drive the car smoothly when in a gear and you take you foot off / on the throttle. The problem is more noticable in lower gears, however it can be felt in 5th - cruse control has the same problem; control becomes jerky when going slightly down hill - it can't find the needed throttle setting, so it jerks on / off. Anyone else notice this? I have driven other manual transmssion, drive by wire cars with AWD and havn't had this problem (VWs, Audi's). I havn't talked to my dealer let, but will after I hear if this is a general problem or unique to my car.

I'd venture to say that this is the computer controlled throttle (drive by wire) feathering the throttle to keep emissions low. Most non-drive by wire manual transmission fuel injected vehicles I have driven also do similar things upon coasting and re-applying throttle. All engines do it, it's just that you feel it more on a direct manual trans driveline.

My other car is a Audi TT and it is absolutely smooth as you slowly take off and re-apply the throttle. If Subaru wants to move up and compete with lux / near-lux brands, this is the kind of thing they will have to improve - to make things work right. Of course an automatic trans will cover this up.

Archived