LegacyGT.com

LGT--6 days new, 230 miles, WRECKED!

Some idiot in an older Dodge Ram pickup T-boned me last night. It was a "clean" hit at about 20 mph (I was going 40) at the intersection of two heavily traveled 4 lane city streets. I saw it coming and swerved away and braked. I was going straight through the intersection, heading north. He was turning left and accelerating. He started the turn after I entered the intersection and hit right at the driver's side door, then slid down the side of the car. A cop saw the whole thing and told me that I made a "360 and a half on a dime". I ended up facing south into northbound traffic. The cop said I never left the northbound lanes. The other driver, an older man, said that "he didn't see me", apologized, and admitted fault. He was also fully insured, which is not a given around here.

The curtain airbag and side airbag both deployed. Chunks of glass were everywhere. The cabin kept its integrity, though the pillar is bent. Both doors still work, as does the turn signal indicator on what is left of the mirror. The cop said that he was surprised to see me open the driver's door and walk out.

If I didn;t have the bags then I don't think that I would be in condition to type this right now. Front airbags would not have done anything in this type of a collision.

I bought this car last weekend. 230 miles. I'm still in a bit of shock over this. I'm sure it's not totaled, but now I'm thinking maybe it should be? I'm sure it will never drive the same.

I think that we are driving some incredibly safe cars. I hope that none of you have to test it like I just did.

sidelow22.jpg.2de9ee5169b055ce0324ec4b2e316a5c.jpg

sideHI22.jpg.7285f13a5d815552e811e6ec9c48d7ff.jpg

airbags2.jpg.43e130a2d3576577527724895ba799ea.jpg

sideCU222.jpg.8694071ff92a51a7b0aedec1d3fd3883.jpg

sideCU322.jpg.ebe6cd1a95f474dc7a651007e3db23a5.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, sorry to hear of this unfortunate situation. Glad you walked out OK, minus the mental stigma! Looks like it could have been TONS worse...but the most important thing...you are alive.

On a side note --- for those that were thinking of taking off the side molding -- at least you now know there's 'holes' there.

Glad that you are OK though...the car can be replaced...but people can't. Good going Subaru...at least you built a quirky car with good side impact protection!!!

Wow, glad your ok. This happened to my mom too a couple months ago in her 5 month old X5. She T-boned a lady who pulled out infront of her at 50 mph. The woman spun around and then hit her passenger side door. The problem with her crash is none of the air bags came out and yet the force of impact was strong enough for my mom to bend the steering wheel with her body. She just had surgery again on her neck to repair nerve damage and fuse six and seven back together, that had been rapired a few years ago and was tweaked in the accident. As a mecahincal enginnering student it makes no sense to me with all the forces present in her crash, that none of the bags popped in the X5, but other cars like your GT blew the side ones instantly.

And hey, on the plus side now you can get an '06 with Navi!

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

glad u r ok.

i'd try to get his insurance company to buy me a new car, or at least pay me a few thousands in addition to teh repair cost, because the resale value is gonna go down and, like you said, the car will never drive the same! few yrs ago my car was hit when it only had 500 miles! :mad:

This Space For Rent

If that pillar is bent the structural intergrity of the vehicle in the ocurance of an identical accident or a rollover is compromised greatly. I'd say you're due for a new leggy.

I'm glad to see ourt airbags work and you are all ok!

1. Glad you're okay

2. I agree from what you describe of the accident the car held up really well..

I just pray i never have to find out in person..

Make those insurance bastards give you a new car..

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Glad your OK bro. I definately thing the structural integrity of the car has been compromised.

Get the new leg, and buy back your old one. Make it a monster track car!

Any crash you can walk away from is a good one...

Glad you're safe man. Good luck on the finacial side of things, but as new as the car was I can't see anything but a total out of this. I am sure the airbag replacement will be thousands of dollars alone. Sorry it had to happen. Keep us up-to-date!

Think of it this way: given that it was a major crash, you pretty much had the best possible outcome as anyone could wish for:

- nobody was hurt, especially you (*most important*)

- the other driver was at fault

- everybody was insured

- a cop was there to witness and verify everything

So, I'm glad everything came out ok given the circumstances. Condolences on your new car, however. :(

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Sorry to hear/see of your mishap! :(

Glad you're OK, though!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Think of it this way: given that it was a major crash, you pretty much had the best possible outcome as anyone could wish for:

- nobody was hurt, especially you (*most important*)

- the other driver was at fault

- everybody was insured

- a cop was there to witness and verify everything

So, I'm glad everything came out ok given the circumstances. Condolences on your new car, however. :(

Agreed, its a bad cliche, and doesn't help the situation. But consider yourself extremely lucky.

Archived