LegacyGT.com

Air Condition is not working!

So today the temperature finally reached 80 deg F. so I decided to turn the A/C on. So I waited for few minutes for the cooler air to come out and nothing. I tried turning the knobs up and down. Tried turning off the auto controls, and nothing.

I am pretty pissed off right about now. Car has 6 months.

Chris

So today the temperature finally reached 80 deg F. so I decided to turn the A/C on. So I waited for few minutes for the cooler air to come out and nothing. I tried turning the knobs up and down. Tried turning off the auto controls, and nothing.

Chris

It happened to me, its the relay (fuse) -- the dealer forgot to plug it in. Do a search here and you will find the answer. Also search for the "vacation pix."

In short, go to the fuse box (by the battery) in the engine compartment. It's one of the larger blue square fuses. It needs to be unplugged from its current location to the one above it. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. I took it to the dealer and they did it in literally 2 seconds, and I did not pay close attention to it.

I have had that once or twice and shutting the car off and turning it back on usually does the trick... not great but if it works wthell. :)
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Chris

I assume this means that it used to work? Or have you never tried using your AC until today?

My dealer forgot to plug in the relay as well. After I fixed I was sure to call and let the salesman know. Damn it was hot driving home that day!

I assume this means that it used to work? Or have you never tried using your AC until today?

My dealer forgot to plug in the relay as well. After I fixed I was sure to call and let the salesman know. Damn it was hot driving home that day!

Not sure if it was A/C or just cold air because last time I used it it was winter. But I think it may have been working.

Chris

I use the AC for 2 things, defogging the front windshield and more importantly for extra engine cooling by:

1. Setting both sides to 85, or max heat

2. Push Off button

3. Switch to outside-in vent mode

4. Optionally, turn on fan to 1st or 2nd speed

now the heating element acts as a secondary heat radiator, but other than that, it is turned off even with 85F ambient temperatures.

I keed I keeed

I use the AC for 2 things, defogging the front windshield and more importantly for extra engine cooling by:

2. Push Off button

now the heating element acts as a secondary heat radiator, but other than that, it is turned off even with 85F ambient temperatures.

Wow, you are insane. In NC without AC, that's nuts. I am in Vermont and it was 80 yesterday, and yes, the AC was on. The AC is very good in the Legacy and I love it. The car is designed to allow proper cooling with AC on. The small amount of extra heat you are removing by turning on the heat isn't going to make a huge difference. Turst the Subie engineers, this isn't an american designed car you know :lol: .

Also, I love 250hp and AC. The AC doesn't rob you of that much power at all, it is great.

Wow, you are insane. In NC without AC, that's nuts. I am in Vermont and it was 80 yesterday, and yes, the AC was on. The AC is very good in the Legacy and I love it. The car is designed to allow proper cooling with AC on. The small amount of extra heat you are removing by turning on the heat isn't going to make a huge difference. Turst the Subie engineers, this isn't an american designed car you know :lol: .

Also, I love 250hp and AC. The AC doesn't rob you of that much power at all, it is great.

Yup it doesn't, because the AC compressor shutsdown automatically under mild-heavy acceleration.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Actually that is funny, it is true. I went out to the gym for lunch, and mentioned this to my friend. I stomped on the gas, and the AC shutdown like it is supposed to. Most cars do this................

Actually that is funny, it is true. I went out to the gym for lunch, and mentioned this to my friend. I stomped on the gas, and the AC shutdown like it is supposed to. Most cars do this................

My 95 Accord didn't do that, and so I always left the A/C off to gain back teh power.

Now with the GT, I never use the A/C mode and occasionally have it on vent mode cause it's one hot engine especially being a turbo and when I want p0\/\/3r I want it now and not when the ECU decides to shutoff the comrpessor.:)

I keed I keeed

My 95 Accord didn't do that, and so I always left the A/C off to gain back teh power.

Now with the GT, I never use the A/C mode and occasionally have it on vent mode cause it's one hot engine especially being a turbo and when I want p0\/\/3r I want it now and not when the ECU decides to shutoff the comrpessor.:)

You 95 Accord probably did do this. My 89 Accord, and my 92 accord always shut off the AC under hard accel. This car is a hot engine, but I it has so much power I don't usually have to run it that hard in everyday driving. I may shut off AC if I was trying to out accelerate a car that may be a challenge for me.... Thank god there aren't too many cars where this is the case.

I find, even with the AC off, and even if I screw up a shift (always happens when I change shoes from what I am used to :) ) I can still catch up and pass MOST cars............ It is fun. Now if it was an S4 next to me, I would shut off the AC and hope I have learned my current shoes.

2. Push Off button

Super Duper overkill. Your temp will actually be slightly lower with the AC on because the auxillary fan is running and pulling more air through the radiator. This car manages it's temp so well, I can make the temp needle drop a good bit just by downshifting on long hills. The only thing you're acomplishing is making a very un-comfortable cabin. To effectivly utilize that meathod, you'd need to put the blower on max speed. This is usually only done when it's fricking freezin out, or you're overheating.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I was shocked to see how small the stock radiator is. I mean come on, single row?

Just a thought, but it would seem that the flat four engine block has a greater surface area to volume ratio then other engine layouts. This allows greater cooling directly from the engine block and therefore reduces the requirement for the radiator size.

yes, but since there are no cooling fins or stuff like that on the block itself, the effect is minimal......it's there, but minimal. but because the two sets of pistions are so far from each other, you don't conduct any heat from one set to the other and all that block inbetween sucks the heat right out of the heads. Lots of heat moving mass.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Super Duper overkill. Your temp will actually be slightly lower with the AC on because the auxillary fan is running and pulling more air through the radiator. This car manages it's temp so well, I can make the temp needle drop a good bit just by downshifting on long hills. The only thing you're acomplishing is making a very un-comfortable cabin. To effectivly utilize that meathod, you'd need to put the blower on max speed. This is usually only done when it's fricking freezin out, or you're overheating.

Yes I'm a kwazee kuaker, but recently I've become more sane.:)

I keed I keeed

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, does anyone have A/C that switches from cool to stinkin warm air all the time? I'm busy sweating in the hot heat when i have my A/C on b/c it blows warm air, then cool air, then warm, and more warm....and, i'm not romping the gas either (not all the time anyway :D )

If you just started using the A/C recently because of teh hotness, it will take I would say 2-3 days for the A/C to reach its max coolness. Just run the A/C on Auto and set both sides to 65F for a couple of days, and try to avoid having the fan on maximum else the air is blowing so fast through the cooling element it doesn't get a chance to cool down compared to 3 or 4 on the fan speed.
I keed I keeed

Archived