LegacyGT.com

Fixed stupid dash rattle..

Deer Killer

I know a bunch of people have their dashboard corners rattle, and I figured out why, after having my dealer unsuccessfully try to fix it. This actually looks like a engineering defect. You can tell at the factory they tried to push the dash up as far as possible before screwing it down, but it just wasn't enough. So, I took out my dremel (which was unfortunately missing the proper bits, don't cringe) and opening up the hole a bit in the right direction.

Pics: This is what you see if you pull of the side cover off each side of the dash board.

First pic, notice they tried to shove it as far as possible (and cracked the plastic torquing it down).

Second pic, opened up the hole, so now I can push it until it's tight and no more rattle.

1.jpg.e0e26f30b5f3ef5e398b254c642526ac.jpg

2.jpg.206bc416bec5af44107c92307b7db3ec.jpg

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked mine as well and the plastic was cracked because they tried to force it at the factory. A little dremel work (literally less then 5 mins) and I am rattle free!

This was the ONLY gripe with my car!! thanks deer killer!

This is very helpful, but unfortunately, will be buried in the mountain of posts in 2 weeks. Can it be consolidated with other "fix it" posts and "sticky" it on the forum? That way, any newbie can check out the sticky and get ALL the little fixes the forum members found so far.

What kind of rattle was it?

I notice a metalic vibration (seems to be coming from my door, but I can't tell) especially when downshifting... Also, a bit of a knocking type rattle from around the cubby somewhere.. any ideas on those?

Thanks!

loud tapping plastic over bumps..

• 2 months later...

I had the dash rattle over bumps develop at around 2K miles. After figuring out approximately where it was coming from I determined I could prevent the rattle by pushing down on the left front corner of the top of the dash.

Taking off the side pannel I could see two long tabs from the bottom of the A pillar cover that insert through slots in the dash. I took a flat blade screwdriver and bent the end of the tabs toward to inside of the car a bit. This resulted in a more solid contact between the tabs and the slots, and so far this has banished the dash rattle since I did it a few weeks ago.

The enlarging of the dash mounting hole and pushing the dash further forward probably has the same effect of making the tab to slot contact firmer and less prone to rattling.

I did that at too first, but the rattle is under the dash where it clips down, holding down the corner more firmly with the a-pillar is just another temporary solution, actually the above is also, as the corners will be tight, but the clips near the middle of the dash will come loose eventually.

• 1 month later...
I had the dash rattle over bumps develop at around 2K miles. After figuring out approximately where it was coming from I determined I could prevent the rattle by pushing down on the left front corner of the top of the dash.

Taking off the side pannel I could see two long tabs from the bottom of the A pillar cover that insert through slots in the dash. I took a flat blade screwdriver and bent the end of the tabs toward to inside of the car a bit. This resulted in a more solid contact between the tabs and the slots, and so far this has banished the dash rattle since I did it a few weeks ago.

The enlarging of the dash mounting hole and pushing the dash further forward probably has the same effect of making the tab to slot contact firmer and less prone to rattling.

Found this thread by searching. Yesterday my car began suffering from a rattle/rubbing noise coming from the driver side, up where the left corner of the dash meets with the A pillar. I can even "move" the dash back and forth (by pushing and pulling the dash cluster "lip" behind the steering wheel) and recreate the rattle, but it also rattles every time over very rough pavement. Does anyone have pics of the rattle fix?

thanks.

Archived