LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5i factory reflash!!!

Latley my legacy has been acting funny by idling high and just being annoying so took it to the dealer and come to find out SOA actually has an updated engine mgmt flash that apparently alters the DBW unit and the ECU also come to find out it wasn't firing the no 3 cylinder at times anyway it's hooked up to an array of machines getting fixed right now. I wonder if that gave me the boxer rumble while driving in the snow? If you have a 2008 or 2009 2.5i ( may be for other models but I'm only sure about those two) and it idles high when you push in the clutch or come to a stop go get it reflashed from the dealer they say it will fix a whole bunch of issues that I didn't know existed he said the OBDII log didn't look good :confused: and asked if I had tinkerer with anything my response of course not yet ! :p

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So finally got my black beauty off the lift and off life support from the Subbie Dealer and WOW! Is all i have to say and im not saying that b/c i think it runs better but I def can feel it running better low RPM Mid range and top end. Also the tech said it changed the fuel air mixture b/c my had been running lean. So when i first got in i stalled it b/c i was used to it idling up and not dropping the RPMs like any other normal car learned that aspect quick. Now it runs and acts like it ought to and fixed a few minor issues as well. So if you have similat issue take and get this reflash done. If youre not under warranty its only $93 so still not a bad price to fix that annoying erratic idle everytime the clutch is disengaged or you are in a parking lot turning into a parking space

^^ Nice work. $93 isn't so bad I guess. I do hate it when I disengage the clutch and the rpms go sky high, so I might have to do this soon.

I doubt they did, but did the tech mention how this re-flash was different from the original map? Other than fixing the rpm issue?

^^ Nice work. $93 isn't so bad I guess. I do hate it when I disengage the clutch and the rpms go sky high, so I might have to do this soon.

I doubt they did, but did the tech mention how this re-flash was different from the original map? Other than fixing the rpm issue?

He said that it adjusted the fuel/air mixture because the MAF in my car and the ECU value tables didnt not match up correctly or rather they were not reflective of what was actually happening when the voltage drop or increased due to more or less air passing the MAF sensor

Interesting. I may have to make a trip down to the states to get mine flashed.

$70 is almost $25 cheaper I would do it man once you get up and running you should notice the change my car feels totally different :)

Hey,

So this reflash is also for other years on the 2.5i. I have a 06 which seems to have a few of these traits. Also, which warranty do you have to be under the 36k or 60k??

Thanks fellas,

Bitz

looks like i will be takeing my car in also....i wonder if they will say anything about me haveing a CAI

Let me know what they say bout the CAI...i'm thinking of putting it in but i'm worried it'll kill the warranty

Hey,

So this reflash is also for other years on the 2.5i. I have a 06 which seems to have a few of these traits. Also, which warranty do you have to be under the 36k or 60k??

Thanks fellas,

Bitz

I would assume that they know of this issue for the 05+ generation well actually more like 05 MY 06-07MY and 08+MY (internals are different from 05 to 06+) The Service Rep at the dealership said that tons of people drive their cars with them running this way but never think about it as a "real" issue. It isn't warranty specific at all under or not you can still get the reflash from SOA and if you're not warranted it is a low cost fix under $100. I do know that it is Legacy 2.5i specific so the older Impreza's (05-07) arent affected BUT the 08 impreza is built on the legacy frame now so they may share this issue for 08+ MYs. No matter what you it is worth it to at least go by and have this checked out. Also Ive got the Extended warranty 60K

looks like i will be takeing my car in also....i wonder if they will say anything about me haveing a CAI

Well I would look at it this way you can leave the CAI on but they may tell you that the reflash is made for a stock setup so the MAF values that will be flashed onto the ECU may not work the same with the CAI that you have you could however take that CAI go get it checked and or flashed then put the CAI back on. They had my car hooked up to several diagnostic machines that measures everything MAF, exhaust, and into the OBDII port. Also they have a AWD Dyno at this dealer which was neat I was so tempted to slip the tech $50 for a couple of pulls :dm:. Also while I was there the tech told me that I shouldnt run Synthetic oil after he told me that they changed my oil for me at no cost ??? I was slightly confused but he said that they performed an internal check of my engine ????? My guess is the wrong tech tried to service the wrong car on the lift hahaha started to drain the oil when another guy was like " dude that car isnt in for oil " to which he may have replied :orly:

my car has this problem too. is this something official with TSB or something? what do i reference it to? i don't want to mention it and service manager look at me like I'm crazy.

Mention that you think you may need to have the ECU re-flashed to address driveability issues concerning erratic idling

Gee-Otto, do you have anything done to yours enginewise or exhaust?

AVO Panel and soon to have full custom exhaust once it arrives Friday. Also am looking at the JDM bumper Kit in the not so distant future

where did you order the exhaust from?

Here is what i bought :

LGT OEM Manifold and a Impreza RS Header

I got both because i want to try it out and show everybody that it can work ( if it works)if they want to go that route because you know somebody has to push the envelope. LGT exhaust manifolds are durable which is what I am going for since power isnt the goal of any 2.5i bolt on mod dont let anyone tell you different.

Thunderbolt High Flow Cat

Two Thrush Power Flow Mufflers ( I call them power flows but they are the Thrush Welded Series) very good flowing and also the Thrush Turbo Series are good mufflers.

All that plumbed with 2.25 piping Im waiting on my manifold to come in FedEx tracker shows 3-6-09 delivery

Also i bought a regular resonator 18 inch to cut out raspy high end noise and keep it mostly quiet but not too quiet gotta let people know when the 2.5i is rolling on the block or in my case into the office

Mention that you think you may need to have the ECU re-flashed to address driveability issues concerning erratic idling

ok cool. i have an appointment friday for an alignment. you guys think i should call back ask them about the reflash or is it something i can mention while i'm there?

ok cool. i have an appointment friday for an alignment. you guys think i should call back ask them about the reflash or is it something i can mention while i'm there?

You should be able to tell them once you get there or call ahead so they know what to expect or so they can have the equipment ready. Either way you will be able to get this issue resolved in a short time once you get to the dealer

:cool:

Here is what i bought :

LGT OEM Manifold and a Impreza RS Header

I got both because i want to try it out and show everybody that it can work ( if it works)if they want to go that route because you know somebody has to push the envelope. LGT exhaust manifolds are durable which is what I am going for since power isnt the goal of any 2.5i bolt on mod dont let anyone tell you different.

Thunderbolt High Flow Cat

Two Thrush Power Flow Mufflers ( I call them power flows but they are the Thrush Welded Series) very good flowing and also the Thrush Turbo Series are good mufflers.

All that plumbed with 2.25 piping Im waiting on my manifold to come in FedEx tracker shows 3-6-09 delivery

Also i bought a regular resonator 18 inch to cut out raspy high end noise and keep it mostly quiet but not too quiet gotta let people know when the 2.5i is rolling on the block or in my case into the office

Let me know how it turns out...if it works well and sounds/performs good, i just may do the same...

Archived