LegacyGT.com

Looking into a Mini Cooper

I really don't want to sign up with a Mini forum, at least not yet, just for these few questions. Figured I'd shoot them here and see if any enthusiasts/knowledgeable people are present :)

My wife is interested in a Mini, it's been her dream ever since they revived the little car. There is a catch or two though. Not only does it have to be around 14K used, it's gotta be red and automatic. So that excludes the S right off the bat.

Do any of you here know what we should watch out for? Common problems? How is the CVT transmission on them? They did away with it on the newer models IIRC and I'm wondering if that's due to mechanical woes or drivability objections.

Wish me luck in finding one that meets all the criteria :spin:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Road & Track had an article about buying used Mini's not too long ago. You might be able to find it online. It listed a bunch of stuff to look out for and which MY to avoid. Basically it's pretty expensive if you need anything on it to be fixed, it's BMW after all.

The more I read, the more it seems there has been a rash of failed CVTs. Anyone know more on this? I'm sad to say it confirms my suspicion for their switch back to traditional geared trasmissions, but if it turns out the failures are due to people putting in the wrong ATF or not servicing it at the right interval, maybe we'll be lucky.

Nice, another 5-6 grand tranny.

The more I read, the more it seems there has been a rash of failed CVTs. Anyone know more on this? I'm sad to say it confirms my suspicion for their switch back to traditional geared trasmissions, but if it turns out the failures are due to people putting in the wrong ATF or not servicing it at the right interval, maybe we'll be lucky.

Nice, another 5-6 grand tranny.

From what I recall, Mini ditched the CVT in favor of the current 6-speed automatic.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Mini forum is www.northamericanmotoring.com

FYI the pre-05 5 speed manuals are junk. The rest of the car is good.

Some 2002 cars had more problems than later years. There have been some problems with rust in the bottom of the door jamb area but it isn't a bid deal if you catch it soon enough. Lots of fun. I don't know much about the autos.

Another problem I thought of is mushrooming front strut towers. Something to check when you are checking a car out.

Get one with steering wheel controls, that is the only way you'll get cruise.

Yep, I signed up with North American Motoring 2 weeks ago and I've been told to pretty much stay the f.. away from the CVT tranny and, if I really wanted an auto, to just get a 2005 or newer that comes with a 5EAT.

There were lots of little improvements from 02-04 -> 05/06. We traded an 04 for an 06 were happy we made the switch.

I'm debating that now. May look at a JC Works 2006 this week if it's not already sold. Otherwise looking at some 2006 S's. The dealer is quite persistent but the new prices with options don't seem compelling.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 3 weeks later...

Drove an 08 Cooper (not S) manual yesterday.

The salesperson at the dealer turns out to be none other than the chairman of the NE Mini Owners Club. He has 3-4 of the old ones and spent more time talking about history than trying to sell me the car. But when he said he'd actually met Sterling Moss, I was all ears.

A very nice handling car. Ride is better than the OBW with MR coilovers. Plenty of room for me at 6'2, although I'd forgo the sunroof for more headroom. While the very short overall length limits rear seat and cargo room, that's also a plus when parking in the city. Our (3) kids could still fit in so I can get them to school as necessary. But if they're like BMW motorcycles, I'll need a German in a white coat seated in the back seat.

Price with the options I wanted was around 21.5K. No bargain per pound, but with exceptional resale value, pretty low cost-to-own. I'd have to order it and could expect delivery in December.

They are hosting a Mini-only autocross at Peabody BMW on Sunday. I may stop by and take a look. And bring my helmet....

There are no Honda Fit Sports with manual to be had for another month at least. They're more than a foot longer, narrower, and 5" higher but don't weigh a lot more and likely have similar straight-line performance (adequate since I'll mostly be driving alone, commuting). The 07 was surprisingly fun to drive. Fit Sport is a whopping $16,730. Insurance is relatively cheap for both, as Boston prices go.

My wife is no help. She likes them both. And after reading the review of the 09 WRX, that is mighty tempting as well.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I hate to admit it but those MT Fits are quite the steal for what they are. $17k loaded? Why not? :lol:

As for the Minis, I'm glad you're looking at a newer one without all the questionable tranny issues. Smart move. A little more then you wanted though no?

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I've heard the CVT's are bad, but the 5 speed manuals are OK, are they not? I was surprised at how many automatics they sell around here, but probably shouldn't be.

Can spend whatever I want. But as we park on the street in Boston - on a hill - anything new is likely going to get beat up front and rear.

I go back-and-forth on the S [turbo] model, but as the Coopers only autox against other NA engines, there's not much appeal for it.

By contrast, you could build such a sleeper from the Fit. And the H6 wagon* and our two Accord V6's are exceptional sleepers. It is much more fun to go fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car.

*When I pulled into the Mini dealer, the salesman asked if the OBW was my wife's.:lol:

Who Dares Wins

スバル

02-04 CVT = bad

05+ CVT and 5EAT = good

How the hell does Nissan have stout CVTs even in V6 270hp engines and the guys at Mini couldn't make it handle a "measly" 110hp or 200.

Define bad... Does it break down or is it just stupid software control?

453747.png

It breaks down to the point that you have to replace the transmission. The units are at least 4K rebuilt depending on condition and can sometimes go as high as 6K. On a car that's worth somewhere around ~$10K-16K depending on condition.

I won't sit here and point the finger solely at BMW though, the posts I've read on the net say nothing of their maintenance regiment [iE, was it OEM ATF you've used, or did you take the POS to the geniuses over at Valvoline]. But there HAVE been people that did nothing but OEM service on it. Then again, we all know that those with problems are usually the loudest voices. I AM questioning however the engineering behind it, I mean seriously, to have a CVT fail in such short order either on OEM fluid or aftermarket? I understand they need special lubricant, but come on, THAT picky?

So it's not that cut and dry but when you read so many failure stories and even Mini communities recommend you stay away from CVT during those years ... paints a pretty clear picture for me at least.

I lurk several Nissan boards and I have yet to hear about a rash of failed CVTs, and Nissan has them in all their cars almost.

The Murano has had CVT since 03 IIRC and it's been no worse than a standard AT.

If I knew I could, I'd probably look into a Mini with a shot CVT and swap in a CVT off a Nissan Sentra. Similar load regiments.

Archived