LegacyGT.com

rear taillights mod

thanks for the comment. but you can get the blub at any store like autozone or pep boys they sell it in pars so its good. and ya i couldn't find my digtial cam so i used my cell cam sorry for the photo. also about the cops hassling i really don't know cause i have had it for awhile and no cop said anything so i think its ok it works really good. so happy modding.

• 2 months later...
r u sure that's legal? no that it matters.

;)

Honestly, I don't know about the legality of this one.

Although what I'm thinking is that since they're engaged only with use of reverse gear, it should rarely, if ever, pick-up enforcement attention.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
those are the worst pics evah. I still dont know what this mod does. Guessing it makes your signals into parking lights that turn off with the brakes? correct?

+1

any update or better pics or explanation of what this mod is?

It's an alternate lighting pattern for your brake and marker lamps.

Go to the back of your car, and have someone turn on your parking/markers/signals, and then step on the brakes. Note carefully your lighting pattern and intensity.

Compare to the mod guide, you'll see the difference.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

SuperhawkLGT,

No, it's not that it's hard to describe, it's just that the original post described it completely and clearly to begin with, and if you can't visualize it by reading the orignal post and looking at its pictures, then you will certainly -NOT- understand a purely verbal description (at least not one which my own poor verbal skills would compose).

A simple two-minute "self-practice" will easily show you the difference between the aforementioned mod and our "stock" illumination pattern, and will not further confuse the issue.

But if you're insistant on a description here, I feel that this one hopefully will come close to clarifying the issue:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255198&postcount=87

That's my post on the "Clear Stacked-Ovals" sedan tail-light overlay, you'll find within the post the stock lighting pattern.

What is it exactly that you did there? Can't tell from the photos and there is no explanation of what the "tailight mod" is, thanks.

+1

any update or better pics or explanation of what this mod is?

+1 +1

Just because its explained on another tread you can't expect everyone to read ever thread...

Im still totally lost on this one.... "rear taillight mod" and crappy pics with blurry text in them...

Dave

waterdish and All -

....Just because its explained on another tread you can't expect everyone to read ever thread...

That is not my point - I am not saying that people should know of the thread/post I'm referencing, but rather, that LGT owners should be aware of their tail-light illumination patterns! How else will one know when a bulb's out or if there's a short?

:)

In any case....

Please take a moment to first study my reference thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255198&postcount=87

This contains the "stock" tail-light/marker/brakes illumination pattern.

Daytime pictures, 3rd from left. This is with only the markers/parking-lamps illuminated. Note that the lamp illuminated is the lower pair, at low luminosity. This is again demonstrated in the far left "dark" picture, on the LGT (vehicle to the right in that set of pix).

The next daytime picture to the right is with the brakes engaged. Note illumination of the OEM spoiler and center-high-mount, in addition to the high-intensity illumination of the lower set of bulbs in each corner of the tail. This is further demonstrated in the middle picture in the "dark" set.

The far-right daytime/night-time picture is a "timed" shot, in which you'll notice that the upper sector of each rear corner lamp is illuminated (in addition to the "brake" set). This is the turn-signal/hazard.

Using this as base, you can now compare it to the original pictures leading off the current thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5019 and http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5020 - note that with this mod, you're effectively lighting up the entire rear corners, both upper and lower (versus only the lower in the stock setup). The author reports that the upper signals/hazards retain their "flashing" feature even with this mod.

Subsequently, when you engage the brakes, with this mod, you revert to:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5021 - note that the author states "this is when you break (sic) this is what it looks like, the signal lights will go away and the two bottom will go on and also the middle."

Thus, when you hit the brakes, the upper two corner lights extinguish, and the lower two corners engage at "high power." Note further that it essentially reverts to the OEM setup (4th picture from left, day; night - middle picture).

However, when you release the brakes, your rear uppers both again engage.

Once again, this would have taken all of five minutes, to literally get someone to press-down on your brakes (or chock/wedge the pedal) while you observe your illumination pattern. Furthermore, I strongly believe that the owner of any vehicle should be well-aware of their lighting pattern, so that any burn-outs or shorts can be spotted early. Proper vehicle illumination -as well as knowing that all of your lights are operating properly- is every bit as important as routinely checking your fluids and tire-pressure.

I happened upon this particular Walk-Through also when I first came on to LGT.com, and even though I also had trouble understanding the written descriptions that the author posted, it was quite easy for me to understand the mod "visually," as I had already memorized our lighting pattern.

If you're still confused by this mod, or still cannot properly visualize your tail-light illumination pattern in your mind's eye, I'd urge you to simply print out both posts, get a partner/wedge, and spend 5 minutes behind your car. :)

------

As for this mod?

I don't particularly care for it aesthetically, but I cannot see any reason why it would be "unsafe," per-se. I'm curious as to the total current draw, though....

That isn't the point, I know what they look like. I just did not understand and am still a little confused about how the mod goes from all 4 lights back down to 2 and what the purpose is for it.... Plus, I don't have my car cause its getting the re-flash and I have loner camery so unless there exactly the same I can't just go take the 5 minutes to look at it in person. either way we need better pics.
Dave

Ah! Now I see. :)

Still, when you get your car back, please check out your rear illumination pattern - I'm not trying to be mean to you or any of my other brothers and sisters here, I just really feel strongly about this subject, and see it as a vital safety issue.

Having great brakes is all good, but if the person blindly following you can't tell that you've just slammed on the brakes, well....you're still in for quite a bit of annoyance, at best. ;)

-----

As for the mod:

There really is no purpose (at least none that I can reason) to the 4-to-2 change. It's just an alternate pattern.

Ah! Now I see. :)

Still, when you get your car back, please check out your rear illumination pattern - I'm not trying to be mean to you or any of my other brothers and sisters here, I just really feel strongly about this subject, and see it as a vital safety issue.

Having great brakes is all good, but if the person blindly following you can't tell that you've just slammed on the brakes, well....you're still in for quite a bit of annoyance, at best. ;)

-----

As for the mod:

There really is no purpose (at least none that I can reason) to the 4-to-2 change. It's just an alternate pattern.

Yeah I def will look at them very close and to see exactly how they work. I am stickler for lights as well. I hate seeing bulbs out on cars, very annoying to me. Plus my friends are very car savvy and would always alert me and I them if anything was out. I check the lights when I lock and unlock the car but yes its true sometimes you need that wedge or person so you can make sure every bulb is working.

Thanks for the concern because most people neglect lighting and I think it makes or breaks a car IMO

Dave

The last thing I want is fewer lights on when braking, or having anyone saying "what the hell????" when I'm slamming on the brakes. This seems asinine. If it made more lights light up under braking, this would make more sense.

Archived