LegacyGT.com

'01 H-6 problem: Car jerks and/or stalls from a stop

Hey all. My wife has an '01 LL Bean H-6, has about 120K miles on it. Great car, we bought it with 68K in '05 from Per Schroeder, the editor of Grasssroots Motorsports. Very nice car, no issues really since we've owned it.

Several months ago, we were at a stop sign and accelerated to go through the intersection. The car seemed to lose all power, then quickly got it back. No repeat behavior until last night, we were within a couple miles of our house, on the way home from Ontario, a 6.5 hour trip. Same thing, at a stop and accelerated out into the road. This time, it lost power and all the dash lights came on, and it stalled.

To me this seems like it must be a dying alternator? My wife says that sometimes it takes a little longer to start than usual, I've noticed that a couple times, but not always. It starts and idles at a seemingly normal 1500rpm.

I'm aware that auto parts stores often can do alternator tests for free, so I'll try to do that on a day off. If one is needed, do you guys have a recommendation for a brand? I'd rather not buy from Subaru due to the expected cost, but I could be wrong. Don't need high performance, but I do need reliability. Also, I've not done alternator work before, so other than obviously having to undo the serpentine belt, is it hard?

Very weird, and extremely inconsistent. Thought maybe I could get some help. Thanks-

=S2=

Really? One thing I pondered was that this has only happened so far when taking LEFT turns. Possibly the fuel filter is clogged? I dunno, not a very advanced opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. :D I have a new OE filter in the garage, haven't had a chance to put it in yet. I'll try for this week if it's warm enough outside.

HAHA, ain't that the truth. :D We just had dinner with my wife's uncle, he's a NASCAR nut. I don't outright hate it, but I get bored with it pretty quick. Oh well, all things in moderation I suppose...

dplacen,

Do you know if the reflash was related to this kind of issue? Is it an official recall? http://my.subaru.com only lists one for our car, a cruise cable thing, which was done in '04 on our car: WWQ01

It could be a matter of the car not being within a VIN range, but that's not always accurate. My RS wasn't within a VIN range for an ECM reflash for blowing O2 sensors, but after SoA replaced five of them, every 10K miles, on their dime, they change their minds and did it anyway. :)

Ultimatesubaru.net is the best website for older Subaru maintenance.

It's likely this is a maintenance issue, probably in the fuel supply system from the sounds of it. If it was an alternator problem, the battery would have died long ago.

On a car with this age and mileage, there are all sorts of things that could be wrong, from bad plug wires to clogged PCV valve, bad fuel injectors, dirty air filter, or all of the above.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

PCV valve is fine, I change those. Could be injectors, though I use cleaner. Air filter is fine, and there's no plug wires on an H-6, they're individual coilpacks. I've not changed the plugs yet, I tried last year and it's extremely difficult on this engine. Need different tools.

I suppose an '01 is "older" but the mileage isn't high by any stretch, for a Subie. :)

I thought of the alternator killing the battery, though the battery is a DieHard Gold, a couple years old, so I wasn't sure how quickly it would die.

I'm going to try the fuel filter for starters.

Ahhh, wasn't sure about the plug wires on the Gen II H6.

Post on ultimate, they'll have a lot more suggestions. A Subaru with 120K there is considered nicely broken in.

There was a freaky alternator recall of Gen I OB's. It would not charge at highway speeds, but would charge at low speed. So folks would drive for hours on the highway, get a warning, get off the highway, warning would go away, get back on highway - etc. Unlike the 2.5 head gaskets Subaru covered the cost, even if done by a 3rd party. Doesn't sound like what you're facing.

Out of curiousity, can you duplicate the problem when in neutral, or just under load?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly the IACV? I had a problem with my 2001 Limited H6 (Canadian model - must be similar to an LL Bean - it's not a VDC) idling poorly and hard starting. Replaced the IACV and it runs much better. Got it at subarugenuineparts.com

Just wondering if your A/C was running when these incidents occured? The computer is supposed to increase the idle speed when the A/C compressor comes on - if it doesn't, it's possible the car would stall.

Nope no A/C this last time at least, given that it was March. :D

(Nor was it raining, so we didn't need it for de-fog...)

Not sure about the last time.

I replaced the fuel and air filters a few days ago, just have to see if the problem repeats.

OK..no A/C, so maybe the IACV? (idle air control valve) This thing adjust the idle speed of the car depending on ambient temp and other things (coolant temp etc.). I tried cleaning mine and destroyed the o-ring where it mounts to the intake. The car ran like crap, almost stalling several times as I drove to the dealer to order a new o-ring. I ended up replacing the whole thing based on the amount of dirt and carbon that came out when I cleaned the old one.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Happened again today, only several times. My wife picked me up from the airport, about 25 min. from home. She said the car had lost rpm/power a couple times already, and it happened 5-6 times en route home. Only now we noticed it while accelerating from a stop, same as before, but in a straight line as well, not just cornering.

I DID change the fuel filter, a week or so ago. Air filter too, both are OEM. Didn't get to the IACV yet, but it's supposed to be nice weather this week so I'll try to get to it. Need to go get the gasket and replacement bolts, since that NASIOC thread says that the OEM ones are really soft.

I really don't know if it's related, but her A/C isn't working. Can't be 100% sure but it doesn't seem that it's kicking on, when I hit the A/C button. The fuse is fine, I checked it and tried swapping in a new 15A fuse - no change.

But before you drop $100+, maybe it's something the stealership can diagnose?

Just saw your comment there, don't know why...

Anyway I thought of that, but it's not throwing a code. They might be able to see something, but I've had spotty results with having dealerships check for issues. I just emailed Jamie to see if she has any ideas... If I don't have any thoughts within a day or two, yes I'll probably bring it in.

ok,check this pull the fuel pump out and check the round dash pot that is part of the fuelpump assy,looks like a small can of beer.check to see if it is sealed all the way around..

dave/mspt

Hate to ask a seemingly stupid question, but where would I find it?

thats not stupid question -- under the rear seat--make sure you have less than a half a tank of gas--or it will be inside the car.

dave/mspt

Okay. I didn't know if I was looking for something in the engine bay... I'm still a little green with engine work, I shied away from it for years.

I replaced a fuel sender unit in my '00 RS, so I'm familiar with the access points under the rear seat cushion. There was one on either side.

Archived