LegacyGT.com

Those with yakima racks

VXCL

I just installed my q tower setup following yakimas measurements and install exactly. My issue is that even with them set as loose as possible without me being bale to move them when pulling on them, the q clips damaged the window frame trim very easily.

I'm thinking yakimas measurements were wrong at 40.5 for front towers and 39.75 rear. that makes the q towers sit almost 100 percent on top of the roof making the q clips pull up and in when locking.

i saw another members car with the towers on the edge of the roof half down the side wich would make the q clips pull just up vs in, which seems to be what messed my window moldings up. i now have to buy new moldings as it looks like someone tried to break into my car at all 4 windows!!:spin:

it also doesnt look like those moldings are easy to replace either.

anyone else have this problem??

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have mine set pretty tight however there aren't any noticeable marks. sucks to hear the window trim got damaged.. try putting some electric tape on the clips maybe that'll help.

its not that they scratched the molding, but on the ends of the q clips (q 78) where there is about a 1/4" wide section that touches the molding as its hollow in the middle, basically made flat spots on the edge of the window trim.

would you mind measuring how far apart your mounts are just like yakima does for their m1 and m3 measurments? basically from each inner tip of the tower on the top of the bar.

I'm convinced that if i just open the bars up a little that wouldnt have happened, but the damage is done.

Thanks.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I have the Yakima setup on my car. Mine were positioned down on the side, like the car you saw. What size cross bar do you have? Do you have room to move them out? I think my fit kit was a q78, not positive. It did not leave any noticable marks when I took it off for the winter.

I have the Yakima setup on my car. Mine were positioned down on the side, like the car you saw. What size cross bar do you have? Do you have room to move them out? I think my fit kit was a q78, not positive. It did not leave any noticable marks when I took it off for the winter.

I have 48" bars so def room to move them around. I'll prob re adj them and see what happens. Another member mattg said the markings went away after some time on his car. But would like to minimalize it if possible.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I moved the front bars to 41" and added some weather striping to the molding where the clips touch. Def not going to be an issue anymore. I should have just done that in the first place. I thought about, but then gave yakima the benifit of the doubt as everything else was top notch.

Only the passenger front side is bad, the rest seem like they'll be ok.

Cliff notes:

Add some kind of decent protection to moldings before mounting q towers :)

I got the fresh sesh rack with the snow camo graphics and it looks sweet on my swp!

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

?? I'm using a Q53 setup i purchased a year ago with no problems on the moldings whatsoever. The clips contact the molding flush with no gaps and leaving no marks. Wonder what the difference is between the Q53 and the (new?) Q78? Only concern I have is with the rear connection, since the molding has a higher tendency to pull away from the car as opposed to the front.

Also, my clips came with a little sticky piece of vinyl to place on the contact point to prevent any damage to the moldings.

?? I'm using a Q53 setup i purchased a year ago with no problems on the moldings whatsoever. The clips contact the molding flush with no gaps and leaving no marks. Wonder what the difference is between the Q53 and the (new?) Q78? Only concern I have is with the rear connection, since the molding has a higher tendency to pull away from the car as opposed to the front.

Also, my clips came with a little sticky piece of vinyl to place on the contact point to prevent any damage to the moldings.

yeah the q78 come with the thin vinyl as well but cant really stick it on as the backings are not flush. They have about 1/4" flat spots on each end that touch the moldings and then the rest is hollow in between. If the q53s are complety flush then that would def explain some of the different experiences.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

yeah the q78 come with the thin vinyl as well but cant really stick it on as the backings are not flush. They have about 1/4" flat spots on each end that touch the moldings and then the rest is hollow in between. If the q53s are complety flush then that would def explain some of the different experiences.

The Q53 and Q78 seem to be similar. I was still able to get the vinyl tape on the Q53s without any issues.

The weather stripping sounds like a great idea. Although I don't have any damage, this will give me peace of mind.

What weather stripping did you use?

just average frost king type foam weather stripping found at any hardware store. I used 3/8" size. Also the adhesive works well and is easy to clean up whenever which is why i use this stuff for everything :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

So this is kind of off and on topic but...

I found after rolling with my yakima board rack(using Q towers) last winter the damage I got was not where the clip goes (i taped that with thick elec tape to protect) but wear the rubber pad sits on the paint. No doubt this was probably because of leaving it on for an extended period of time, and dirt worked itself underneath and helped to scratch the paint. I tried to buff it out and nothing..even some minor color sanding and still nothing..

Anyway, this boarding season I took it upon myself to design and make some die-cut clear vinyl paint protectors that the Qtower pad sits on...This is nice too because not only does it keep your paint from getting effed up, and it also acts as guides that can stay on there if you take your rack on and off a lot. You cant even really see them either, especially not on my white paint.

If anyone ever wants any of these I can make as many as I want since part of my business does vinyl signs/graphics..they are pretty cool..so far I am the only one rocking them..

Saw this thread and figured I would give my two cents on Qtowers! ;)

yeah i waxed the roof before putting them on. def can see dirt working its way in. yakima supplies clear vinyl for the fairing feets. might take you up on that for next year. sounds like a good idea!

I found after rolling with my yakima board rack(using Q towers) last winter the damage I got was not where the clip goes (i taped that with thick elec tape to protect) but wear the rubber pad sits on the paint. No doubt this was probably because of leaving it on for an extended period of time, and dirt worked itself underneath and helped to scratch the paint. I tried to buff it out and nothing..even some minor color sanding and still nothing..

Anyway, this boarding season I took it upon myself to design and make some die-cut clear vinyl paint protectors that the Qtower pad sits on...This is nice too because not only does it keep your paint from getting effed up, and it also acts as guides that can stay on there if you take your rack on and off a lot. You cant even really see them either, especially not on my white paint.

If anyone ever wants any of these I can make as many as I want since part of my business does vinyl signs/graphics..they are pretty cool..so far I am the only one rocking them..

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I would be in for a set. How much are you looking for?

Honestly I had not even thought about selling them..but if some of you guys want them just PM me and I can get some to you for a few dollars, they wouldnt be much since it doesnt take a ton of vinyl and I could just run like 20-30 sets to have.

Glad some of you like my idea..honestly I board from November to May and dont like to take my rack off and dont want it to jack up my paint again..this has worked like a dream this year..rack has been on since November.

I would be in for a set. How much are you looking for?

I'm in for a set.

Also, the pads + vinyl tape that the Yakima fairing uses are TINY. Would you be able to make the landing pads (vinyl tape) twice as big in all dimensions? I'd be in for a set of those as well.

Glad some of you like my idea..honestly I board from November to May and dont like to take my rack off and dont want it to jack up my paint again..this has worked like a dream this year..rack has been on since November.

I don't board or do anything in the snow other than drink at the bar when my wife is out on the slopes. On the other hand, I do mountain bike as often as I can. Ever since we purchased the base rack, we haven't taken it off the car. Some weekends are snow weekends and the others are biking. I've even grown to like how the rack + fairing looks on the car.

Honestly I had not even thought about selling them..but if some of you guys want them just PM me and I can get some to you for a few dollars, they wouldnt be much since it doesnt take a ton of vinyl and I could just run like 20-30 sets to have.

I would take a set for next year. figure you just trace the shape of the q tower pad and scale it up a little. let me know what develops.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I would take a set for next year. figure you just trace the shape of the q tower pad and scale it up a little. let me know what develops.

Thats basically exactly what I did..scanned it and then messed with it until it was right..It has some overlap for sure just in case rack shifts, etc..

I have plenty of this high grade clear vinyl I can send these to anyone who wants them... How bout two sets of four (one extra) for 5$ shipped..just PM me if you want some.

Archived