LegacyGT.com

Stock intercooler reinforcement

dbrunone

So, I want to run higher boost (~17.5-18psi) on my stock intercooler, and don't want to shell out $700 for a Perrin or whatever. I've heard that these things start to separate at some joint, but I'm not sure which. Can anyone describe (or better yet, post pics) of the part of this thing in need to JB Weld (or actually weld) to help it not break? Thanks!

PS I searched but didn't find much exact info....

ummm you can't weld plastic.... that is the part the breaks

DO NOT put 15+ lbs through the stock IC!

either buy a new one or wait until someone offloads a used one cheap.

I have NEVER seen the plastic end tank fail.

The only part that I have seen fail are the aluminum tabs that are bent over the plastic end tank.

So, I want to run higher boost (~17.5-18psi) on my stock intercooler, and don't want to shell out $700 for a Perrin or whatever. I've heard that these things start to separate at some joint, but I'm not sure which. Can anyone describe (or better yet, post pics) of the part of this thing in need to JB Weld (or actually weld) to help it not break? Thanks!

PS I searched but didn't find much exact info....

What people have done in the past is to run a bead of JB Weld around the tabs(the little square metal tabs bent over the plastic end tanks from the center metal grid). What happens is that the plastic end tanks will seperate from the center metal part because the "tabs" will bend up and allow the end tank to come loose a little and let the O-Ring blow out thus leaking. The theory is that if you run a bead of JB Weld around the edges where the tabs bend over the plastic; it will strengthen them by making each tab hold the one next to it in place.

Search on "intercooler tabs" or "endtank" and I think there are a bunch of threads that should have pics.

Let's kick this pig!

Stage 2 boosting 17.5 psi + for a year through the stock intercooler. Took the engine cover off the other day and the endtanks and aluminum tabs look the same way they did when I bought the car (perfect :))

Carry on :-)

Stage 2 boosting 17.5 psi + for a year through the stock intercooler. Took the engine cover off the other day and the endtanks and aluminum tabs look the same way they did when I bought the car (perfect :))

in what gear? at what RPM?

5th, maybe 4th...

you run that down low and KaBOOM!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

My basic stage 2 setup(UP/DP/CBE) with the stock TMIC would hit 17.5-18.43psi@3100RPMs in 3rd and hold it until 3300RPMs. I ran it like that for 6 months with no problems at all. I think it's just one of those things where either they hold together forever or they pop right after upping the boost.
Let's kick this pig!

You can JB weld the tabs to the plastic tank I believe. For me the tabs on the turbo side pulled away from the tank. One tab actually split down it's spin. I've also see someone wrap a metal clamp the entire way around the intercooler to put pressure on the end tanks to hold them to the core.

Bottom line...the oem intercooler really isn't cut out for high boost.

If your lucky it will last, but I'd expect it to fail if your running 16+ PSI.

btw....if you have a subie master card and earn subie bucks you could use them for the Perrin IC (thekingofparts). I purchased mine this way.

17.5 psi in 3rd gear.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13603&highlight=tmic+endtank+blow

Sometimes they last and sometimes they do not....I just think there were some faulty ones from the factory or ones that were not installed right.

I have spoken with a few people that have been running stage 2 boost levels that blew their oem tmic endtanks, and then replaced with another oem tmic and have had no problems....

but guess what, if you blow your endtanks off of your stock tmic, a replacement can be found on this board for 50-90 dollars :)

Ok so the consensus is, it might break and it might not. Next question: If I get a pro dynotune with the stock TMIC and it breaks, and I decide to get a Perrin later, will I have to change the tune? Or will it not matter?

+1

You don't have to, but most tuners would/should adjust it for free anyway. About all that happens when you change to the bigger TMIC is that you get a little more boost and a little wastegate flutter when you floor it at low RPMs in 4th and 5th. Other than that not much changes.

Let's kick this pig!

• 2 months later...

Archived