LegacyGT.com

no more meep meep (no pics)

i couldn't stand that friggin horn so i finally changed it.

went to pep boys and took a chance on two $17(each) horn replacements.

both made by fiamm www.fiammamerica.com

high tone-"e" #72102

low tone-"b" #72012

to me it sounds like a gm.

not too loud either.

to get to the oem horns you have to take the grill and front bumper off.

use the existing subaru wires (horns come with a very nice wire adapter) no cutting or splicing of wires.

the ground wire goes from horn terminal to the nut where the horn connects to the supplied extender plate.

bumper and grill go back on and yer done.

Sounds like a good-money-time investment.

If I understand the catalogue correctly, you have a 130db High and a 125db Low horn, both of which are louder than the stockers at 116db IIRC.

How much time start to finish?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I just put the Hella SuperTones on mine today - the hardest part is trying to make room, as they are double the size of stock. Sounds just like a (very loud) VW horn. :rolleyes: Not sure that is a good thing, but better than the meep-meep (for now).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*

You heard my horn- does it sound like that? I'm still thinking of a Caddillac horn this spring.

high tone-"e" #72102

low tone-"b" #72012

not too loud either.

use the existing subaru wires (horns come with a very nice wire adapter) no cutting or splicing of wires.

the ground wire goes from horn terminal to the nut where the horn connects to the supplied extender plate.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest JessterCPA

high tone-"e" #72102

low tone-"b" #72012

not too loud either.

I heard these horns at the IKEA meet.

I think I am going to do the same this. Ours is embarassing.

I just put the Hella SuperTones on mine today - the hardest part is trying to make room, as they are double the size of stock. Sounds just like a (very loud) VW horn. :rolleyes: Not sure that is a good thing, but better than the meep-meep (for now).

Hey Patagonian,

I have a set of hella's left and was planning on putting them on my 05lgt. I don't have the car yet but i was looking in the hood at the dealership the other day and couldn't find where the stock horns were located. Where did you mount the hella's? and was it any trickier than any other Subaru?

They are under the resonator, passenger's side. I took off the whole front bumper, as I was putting the STi lip spoiler on. Installing the horns was a pain - they are double the size of stock and space is tight. You have to bend the brackets....one front and one rear, so the there is room for the Hella's (the stock ones sit side by side). Other than that, run a wire to ground and you are done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone know if taking off the lower splash guard gives ample (not perfect, but AMPLE) access to the horns? I am not putting the STI spoiler on (as someone mentioned here) and I've noticed people saying that they take off the bumper to change the fog lights, while others say "just remove teh splash guard". Removing the splash guard sounds a lot less intrusive and time consuming. So...without further babbling, does taking the splash guard off allow access to the horns? I have a pair of Fiamm's that I ordered from JC Whitney for my old SUV that I love but haven't put in because I didn't feel like removing the bumper!:eek: Any advice would be appreciated (as long as it involves advice about getting around removing the bumper!:D;) )

I think you can do it that way. You might run into issues if they are bigger than stock......having the bumper off makes it easier to access everything. If you do it through the wheel well, it's kinda like operating on the brain through your nose. :D

The bumper is very easy to take off, so I didn't think twice about it. I will upload a pic with it off when I get home tonight - you can see everything clearly that way.

If you do it through the wheel well, it's kinda like operating on the brain through your nose. :D

Dan,

Cracked me up with that one.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So...without further babbling, does taking the splash guard off allow access to the horns?(QUOTE]

Yes it does. Also by taking out the airbox you can get access to the horns as well. I mounted Hella supertones behind the grill w/c sounds better b/c they are not muffled inside the fender, all i did was disconnect the wires going to the OEM horns and connected a lead wire from each wire harness and connected them to the new horns. Since the new horns have 2 tabs one +/- just ground the - of each horn to the body.

There are pops everywhere on the bottom edge and along the top under the hood. Those are easy. There are two hard ones - behind the fender liners in the wheels wells. One all are removed, pop it off but be careful to set it on a blanket or something. Somehow, I scratched the LF bad enough I need to have it fixed.

• 1 month later...
I have the Hella too. I left the stock horns on and just hid the hella beside the radatoir. Now with four horns the car has a very destinktive loud, ugly, anyoing sound!

I have the Hella too. I left the stock horns on and just hid the hella beside the radatoir. Now with four horns the car has a very destinktive loud, ugly, anyoing sound!

LOL...I'd love to hear that coming up behind me! I've got to chnge my horn soon. I'm embarassed to beep it.

Archived