LegacyGT.com

Dual HVAC Separation & Stock Radio Delete

puzzled

I have decided to take the plunge into separating the stock radio from the dual HVAC controls in order to install a new radio in my 05 Legacy (Many thanks to #072 for his thread that gave me some ideas)

A few days ago I replaced my stock HU with one of the OEM MP3 units. While I was taking both apart, to move my Jazzy board, I came to the conclusion that this would only be slightly different from my V1 remote display install (Link Here).

Here is the cliff notes version of the plan:

• Cut the HVAC control circuit board.
  • Re-Solder the connections to the front circuit board.
  • Make a wire harness to run all the other connections to the main board.
  • Buy an aftermarket radio (NAV, DVD, and Sirius) and mold it into the empty spot.

For the curious I have included pictures of the front circuit board un-cut.

(Click on the picture for a High-Res)

http://www.puzzleddesigns.com/pics/LGT_Radio/Front_Full_Uncut_LR.jpg

http://www.puzzleddesigns.com/pics/LGT_Radio/Back_Full_Uncut_LR.jpg

http://www.puzzleddesigns.com/pics/LGT_Radio/Back_Closeup_Uncut_LR.jpg

More to come since I just started this project.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, another pc-board wrench head! I was thinking of seperating the controls too, but I don't have any issues with my stereo so I didn't want to gut mine apart.

The PC board looks pretty straight foward, simple 2 sided board, and all the traces are easy to follow. If you was near me I'd lend you my metcal station and microscope. I love buying electronics tools. I bought all that stuff because I was modding playstation 2 back in the day :cool:

Subscribed

Holy hi-res Batman :lol:

I love doing this kinda stuff too (I can't remeber how many remote displays I've done). This looks like a neat project and I'm anxious to see the progress.

Good Luck.

Oh BTW, that V1 display was very nicely done.

Ya know, you can just edit the first post with your pics, unless you are going for higher post counts :)

I am aware of editing posts, how do you think spots 1-5 are going to change? I have been other forums that only allow X amount of IMG tags in a single post. I guess I get them all mixed up.

Ya know, you can just edit the first post with your pics, unless you are going for higher post counts :)

Leave the electronics genius alone. If you piss him off I will roadtrip to the great white north and exercise my pimp hand:lol:;)

ignore him, he'll go away.

I have been looking for part numbers or places to purchase some of the wire harness connections.

So far I have been able to source the following:

• CN602 - K1KA10B00162 - (Male 10p located on Main PCB)
  • CJ901 - K1KB10A00112 - (Female 10p located on Display PCB)
  • CN603 - K1KA12B00105 - (Male 12p located on Main PCB)
  • CJ902 - K1MQ12A00005 - (Female 12p located on Display PCB)
  • CN402 - YEAE0804CJ - (Female 8p located on back of Radio)
  • CN701 - SCOSCHE SU03B - (Female 14p located on back of Radio)
  • SCOSCHE SU03RB - (Male 14p - Factory Wire harness connector)

Here is what I cannot find yet.

• CN405 - K1KA08B00218 - (Female 8p located back on the back to the radio)
  • ????? - Male equivalent of CN405 - (8p Factory wire harness connector)
  • ????? - Male equivalent of CN402 - (8p Factory wire harness connector)

I want to run extensions from the factory harnesses to make the uninstall easier (if I ever sell the car).

Looks like its going well! :)

I found (probably the same) source for those connectors, but they were backordered. They finally came in about two weeks ago.

I have everything disassembled, and a friend of mine is cutting the actual radio cage this weekend, so i can start fabbing up the final resting place mount for the cut off portion of the PCB.

Theres one or two spots im not crazy about cutting through (not necessary a good path to cut through), but it should be fun...

Archived