LegacyGT.com

BD (MY98) Legacy GT/Impreza suspension compatibility..help!

Pwise2326

Hey all, I've got a 98 Legacy GT Sedan and I'm looking to upgrade my suspension. I'm looking for fast street with a decent budget (not enough for coilovers, but enough for decent springs and struts) but I haven't been able to find much that's legacy specific. Ideally I'd like to get a set of KYB AGX's (i've heard they sucked compared to others, but I can afford these and like the adjustibility) with some Prodrive P1 springs or STI pink lowering springs. Here's the question: I know they don't make legacy-specific AGX's so which should I go for -- 93-01 GC8 impreza struts or 02-03 WRX specific? I've read on other forums that WRX strut and spring combos work on BD legacys (replacing strut top mounts) and may be a better setup for the legacy because of similar weights...whereas GC8 springs won't support the extra weight of the legacy well. So if I were to get WRX struts...could I use legacy specific Prodrive springs or STI springs or will I need to get WRX specific springs? Has anyone ran or running this setup now? My stock struts are crunching like a beast so I figure its a good excuse to upgrade my suspension with my holiday bonus! Thanks for your help!!

• 2 months later...

There is a webpage out there of a legacy to wrx suspension conversion but I believe it was for the early 90's body style. It said there were differences between the front and rear strut compatibilities, requiring or not requiring new mounts.

Curious on how your conversion went. I have a 97 GT and would like to do this myself, even though (at least so far) only my rear struts are shot.

Just to help out Pwise2326 with an early response. The set up went good, the Legacy looks good and he said it handles great. He inspired me to do 02-03 WRX suspension swap too. I dont plan on doing the same strut, I want all STi parts. Heres a link to his pics http://www.4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/viewtopic.php?t=22&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Well, here's the weird part. If you're considering AGXs, the GC stuff works. That's what I put on my '98 GT wagon. If you're considering coilovers, WRX stuff works, which is what I used when I got DMS Golds for the aforementioned wagon. I found that rather odd, but figured that was the way that things were.

There is a noticeable weight difference between the GC and Legacy, but not at all between the WRX and Legacy, which might make WRX stuff the best option. A really knowledgeable guy as regards Legacy/Impreza compatibility is Dale Teague. He's at http://www.boxer4racing.com

Good luck,

Kevin

Hey, thanks for all the help! I ended up buying all 02-03 WRX stuff as Reason said, and figured out that the only way it will work is if you swap it up as a complete set of WRX parts (inculding strut top mounts, upper spring seats (both metal and rubber for front, rubber for rear) and rubber lower spring seats for the rear), the legacy's spring seats dont bolt up (the WRX rear springs are narrower and the fronts are slightly tapered at the top).

But I've had the AGX's and JDM V7 STI Pink springs on there for just under 1k now and they are holding up great. Coilovers were definatly not an option for me, and Koni sports were out of the budget as well, so I"ll have to make do with the AGX's until after I swap the engine hopefully within the next year.

As far as the drop, the struts were just about an inch shorter than the stock BD legacy's, and the springs were between 1-2 inches shorter as well...overall it was a pretty crazy drop, yet the AGX's are still lowered just about an inch keeping them within warranty and optimal performance specs. Definately ate up the wheel well gaps very nicely, down to the top of the tire in the rear and about an inch or so off the front tire. Only problem I'm having is a little bounce from my stock GT wheels and tires, the 55 walls are giving before the rest of the suspension, so I'll have to look into a set of Rota 17's (or 04 STI takeoffs (pretty sure 04 was still 5x100) if not some '05 Legacy GT wheels with some 215/45ZR17's to do the trick.

So for those interested it definatly works, but only as a complete set of WRX stuff. I went with WRX because of the weight difference (or lack thereof) over the GC stuff. Any questions on anything feel free to drop me a PM or email me at Boarderd23@aol.com

There are some pictures at the link Reason posted, I'll try to get a better aftershot once the weather clears up here, its been raining and snowing on and off for the past couple of weeks, hopefully we'll have some sun soon and get a photoshoot in.

Archived