LegacyGT.com

STi Pinks on 06 Spec B

Deepwoods

I had a set of the STi Pinks installed on my 06 Spec B about a week ago. Just a quick report to say that if anyone is looking for an aftermarket spring that doesn't drop the car too much, tightens the handling up (without punishing the occupants), then these springs are worth considering (especially with the Bilsteins).

Here are my ride height numbers from before and after:

before f: 26.75" (ground to bottom of wheel well)

r: 26.5"

after f: just over 26"

r: just under 25.25"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI my car with Tein H-Tech's and stock wheels/tires is front 25 1/8" rear 25". i'm going to Bilstein HO struts/shocks, jdm top hats and STI pinks for my car will let you all know when done. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

I have a 06 SPEC B and think the highway ride is great but in real cornering, the stock springs are a little disapointing. The car bobs up and down during acceleration and body roll is very noticable. Do the PINKS take care of all these issues without chattering teeth? Do you notice that the car bobs less now? What about roll side to side?

On a different note, have you done anything to improve the brakes? They seem a little inadaquate for the power.

Thanks for the info...

On a different note, have you done anything to improve the brakes? They seem a little inadaquate for the power.

Thanks for the info...

The LGT brakes are pretty good. It just takes a little time to learn them because the pedal feel is different than other cars I've driven. Some guys have installed braided lines and/or changed the fluid to get a more immediate pedal feel.

spec-b-4-me,

I feel that the Pinks take care of the dive, roll (I also have a cobb sway bar) and squat much better than stock, but without being too harsh. I don't find the springs to be teeth chattering, but if I did a lot of bad pavement driving, I would have given them further consideration. Thay aren't harsh, but on bad pavement, the cabin gets more rattles.

As of brakes, I have SS lines and cobb pads, which give better feel than stock but do not have the strong initial bite I came to like from my previous car.

spec-b-4-me,

I feel that the Pinks take care of the dive, roll (I also have a cobb sway bar) and squat much better than stock, but without being too harsh. I don't find the springs to be teeth chattering, but if I did a lot of bad pavement driving, I would have given them further consideration. Thay aren't harsh, but on bad pavement, the cabin gets more rattles.

As of brakes, I have SS lines and cobb pads, which give better feel than stock but do not have the strong initial bite I came to like from my previous car.

In the near future I will be installing the JDM Bilsteins SpecB RevC but I am undecisive with what springs to use. I am always driving in nyc so I feel the streets are beyond bad so I am worried about going with pinks. I don't think I have any other options. Do I?

In the near future I will be installing the JDM Bilsteins SpecB RevC but I am undecisive with what springs to use. I am always driving in nyc so I feel the streets are beyond bad so I am worried about going with pinks. I don't think I have any other options. Do I?

http://www.racecompengineering.com has a few different set-ups plus the pinks i just ordered where cheaper. $399+s/h. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

My last car was a VW R32 and the brakes were excellent on that car. Talk about stopping on a dime with factory brakes. The SPEC B brake feel was the first thing I noticed I didn't really like about my car the more I drove it. Sure they stop the vehicle in a reasonable distance but the brake feel is awful.

I'm hoping that the SS brake lines and new pads will help this issue.

Why wouldn't you choose the JDM Spec.B matched springs? They would be OEM engineer tested. From what I understand, the USDM Spec.B is set up exactly like the JDM LGT (I really like this set up myself. It's sporty enough to toss yet is fantastically silky on the freeway). Why not seek out the matching OEM RevC struts and springs? Am I missing something about availability here?

Why wouldn't you choose the JDM Spec.B matched springs? They would be OEM engineer tested. From what I understand, the USDM Spec.B is set up exactly like the JDM LGT (I really like this set up myself. It's sporty enough to toss yet is fantastically silky on the freeway). Why not seek out the matching OEM RevC struts and springs? Am I missing something about availability here?

I agree you have a good point. But from what I read and heard the pinks and oem jdm revC springs have the same compression rate but the pinks just lower the car. so i figure if they are the same compression rate wouldn't the ride feel be the same? or does beling lowered play a factor even though they are the same cmpression? any idea?

JDM GT Rev. C = USDM Spec B. Spring Rates.

JDM Spec. B = STI Pinks Spring Rates....the pinks lower the car a bit though...and I'm not sure if all JDM Spec. B. springs have the same rate...ie Rev.A,B,C....I believe the Rev. have to do with the Bilsteins b/c of lower profile wheels used

I just got home atfter my first little drive with my new JDM Rev c (not spec b) bilsteins and pinks, the drop as everyone knows is minimal, just enough so that when a non-lgt owner looks at it he may think that its either slightly lowered, or more likely just a stock car that is kinda low.

And as for the ride comfort it took me a while to find a road that was bad enought to notice the difference, handling is vastly improved, but comfort is relatively unaffected, I drove down a road that I drive regulary full of speed bumps, pot holes and general bumpiness, and at the end I was like, "hmmm I guess that felt a little rougher, but I bet my wife doesn't even notice the difference".

I got my pinks installed at Rallitek here in PDX on Monday. Three words: I love them.

Here are some before and after photos, pardon the mixed quality.

Profile view, before:

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1048.jpg

Profile view, after:

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1063.jpg

Front wheel gap, before (no, that's NOT an Outback sedan!):

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1055.jpg

Front wheel gap, after:

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1068.jpg

Rear wheel gap, before:

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1056.jpg

Rear wheel gap, after:

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1065.jpg

In person, the drop looks very even. The drop was actually much greater than I expected. The handling is awesome - what was Subaru thinking putting those Buick springs on the stock SpecB - with greatly reduced squat/dive/roll. The car feels waaaay more nimble now, as the steering has become far more "alive". I should mention that I also had the new AVO RSB mounts installed at the same time, which certainly adds to the car's overall feel. You could do chin-ups on my RSB with those on there! ;)

For reference, my suspension is now: USDM SpecB Blisteins/aluminum control arms, AVO RSB, AVO endlinks, AVO RSB mounts, and STi Pinks.

I will write a full review soon, I promise. :)

What are the odds, I got mine installed at rallitek on wednesday, nice car btw, your drop was much greater than mine, must be usdm, vs jdm top hats.

Your top hats are identicial ("JDM" aka Bilstein specific). Difference must be in springs.... or... somehow the alu arms on SpecB make the difference :confused:

or could be his 18" vs my 17" wheels, but is not the lack of wheel gap that surprises me but the overall difference from before and after, mine was more subtle. Or maybe I am on crack, I will hopefully have my car clean enough by this weeked to take some picks for comparisons sake.

Funny - I dropped by there Wednesday afternoon for a sec and they mentioned that they had just installed another set of Pinks. Now I know who it was! :)

What are the odds, I got mine installed at rallitek on wednesday, nice car btw, your drop was much greater than mine, must be usdm, vs jdm top hats.

I searched and searched and couldn't find a comparison on Swift Springs and the STi Pinks. I know someone who knows a couple of WRX owners ditching their Swift Springs after having them for a few months.

Any comments on Swift vs. Pinks?

I had a set of the STi Pinks installed on my 06 Spec B about a week ago. Just a quick report to say that if anyone is looking for an aftermarket spring that doesn't drop the car too much, tightens the handling up (without punishing the occupants), then these springs are worth considering (especially with the Bilsteins).

Here are my ride height numbers from before and after:

before f: 26.75" (ground to bottom of wheel well)

r: 26.5"

after f: just over 26"

r: just under 25.25"

Which kind of Pinks did you specifically use? GT/SpecB/MT/AT? There are 3 part numbers for fronts and 4 for rears.

The front dropped more than expected which might be because of your heavy 6MT transmission. I also start to suspect that SpecB aluminum control arms have different geometry that affect the ride height in front, but I might be wrong on that one.

Archived