LegacyGT.com

My alternative to the $ 200 relocation kit: peer critique plz.

f1anatic

f1anatic's clock/info meter relocation solution:  

69 members have voted

1. 1. f1anatic's clock/info meter relocation solution:

• Waste of time and efforts; ugly POS. I would buy the AVO kit.
    • Not esthetically pleasing, but I would take that over the expensive AVO kit
    • Elegant solution, comparable the AVO kit for fit and finish. A winner.

Just as the title says, please critique.

Did I waste time (2 weeks) and efforts (using fine cutting tools, and trying N types of epoxy glues) in an attempt to save 200 dollars or did it come out decent enough and you guys would sport this in your car without embarassement ?

I just didn't feel that the AVO/Rallitek clock relocation kit was worth the price: 200 dollars for a piece of plastic. Please do not judge my choice of materials (obviously a Blockbuster DVD holder) but judge the fit and finish of the final product.

Actually this isn't even the final product - I would like to paint it either flat black or some graphite color to match the interior (FWEASEL - you may wanna chip in with regards to what color you used and where you got it from); but that will be done when I will have the navi bezel done. Paint everything all at once.

I can explain the Blockbuster plastic choice. At some point while brainstorming, it occured to me to use the DVD holder plastic (back cover) as my "frame". I bought a few from a store...but when fine cutting with a scalpel and drilling, they all cracked. The only one that did not crack was the Blockbuster type - a softer plastic which is less crack-proned. Even then, I went thru 5 of these cases till I got them right. Glueing it to the shifter plate there was a whole 'nother struggle. In the process I did not damage or modify any of the OEM stuff and everything is 100% reversible to stoock or may accomodate the AVO kit.

So did I save myself 200 dollars with a decent clock relocation solution or should I just pay 200 bucks and get AVO kit ?

1469863286_DSCF3417(Large).thumb.JPG.1261b8f898363fbe978dc749e29ed2c4.JPG

660858866_DSCF3421(Large).thumb.JPG.235376a2330ec37ee76a3f0dfa5280c1.JPG

1933626887_DSCF3423(Large).thumb.JPG.0819e2654e4de41633f516cfd79652ed.JPG

1541900136_DSCF3425(Large).thumb.JPG.2bd2f7f994374d9a7f56e3f22e6bcdc9.JPG

18324144_DSCF3426(Large).thumb.JPG.84dde8c76d8809d81a6036086f93d47c.JPG

127087167_DSCF3431(Large).thumb.JPG.05161f67736e98b2a8ff144c667b6138.JPG

2089647890_DSCF3461(Large).thumb.JPG.f69b478b73ad80c39a3b33dcfef3b405.JPG

1298725668_DSCF3462(Large).thumb.JPG.7f03e7d50504027f0f66e18d95e3e048.JPG

Wouldn't put it in my car, but I'm wired funny that way. :icon_bigg Your end result is leaps and bounds above what I could produce myself. This is why, in my case, throwing $190 at the issue has resolved it permanently and my OCD mind can move on to other issues.

Excellent results for a DIY. How's the rest of the carputer coming along?

ignore him, he'll go away.

I have most of the hardware:

1 Toshiba Laptop (1 GHz, 512 MB RAM)

1 Xenarc 700 TSV touchscreenie

1 BU-353 Sirf 3 usb gps

1 Carnetix smart startup/shotdown controller outputting 19V and 12 V (dual outputs)

1 Hauppauge usb TV tuner

1 Jazzy MT solution for AUX-IN

1 Centrafuse front end software

1 iGuidance v3, 2006 software

1 smart cord direct wire for the radar detector in need of North Central's skinniest fingers for routing around the car

1 serial to USB converter for real-time engine data (can you say OSD Boost (this will come in handy after my 30K tune-up), AFR, Coolant Temperature ?)

------------------------------------------

still needed

------------------------------------------

1 powered USB hub (- to be added at a later time; online; Microcentre)

1 usb programmable touchpad controller (- to be added at a later time; online)

1 usb camera (I got two but not like either) - (to be added at a later time; Microcentre)

1 solution for location of the laptop and power source (brainstorming required but I have the starting ideeas)

1 VGA cable extender (Microcentre)

4 USB extension cords (Microcentre)

10 meters of wire (Radio Shack)

1 audio jack M & F connector (Radio Shack)

1 switch (Radio Shack)

(in case I am unable to make pulse starting on the laptop work; I will just solder a wire out of the power button on the laptop, the female end...and plug in the male end when the laptop is in the final position and just power/shut off like that)

As you can see there's some work left most of which is cutting the Xenarc. I have the software end figured out and the basic ideea works, as tested in the minivan in nearly final configuration - down to the usb GPS receiver, embedded plug-ins, software shit and what not all working.

Not bad at all...I don't see me paying the 200 bucks for the AVO kit but I am not sure if I would do this either. Not because I think you did a crappy job, but I think I would and no matter how small the mistake is that I made...that would be all I would see. But well done for sure. Out of curiosity, how much have you spent so far?

Not bad. I'd call it a good proptotype - but not a finished product. When I built my gauge pod for the cubby I used some black desk pad material which matches the interior perfectly, is nice and thick and easy to cut without looking jagged. Maybe worth a try for $10 at Staples.
My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Well, this ain't no secret.

100 for the 60 Gb hard drive

35 for the hard drive connector on the Toshiba (can you believe the idiots at work got rid of the computer because it wasn't working right; freezing etc and nobody bothered to check the most essential thing)

laptop was free

35 for the smart wire cord

400 the xenarc

100 the power supply

75 the gps receiver

85 for the jazzy

40 the converter

= 870 dollars. I have about 430 coming from the sale of my old portable navigation. So really about 450 only and i exepect to finish the project with just another 150 dollars.

I started with a budget of 1500 planning for the AVO single din kit, relocation kit, and a different monitor and building my computer. But I saw Weasel's AVO relocation kit...and convinced me that 200 dollars that piece of plastic ain't worth it. I was 3 clicks away from ordering it this past Tuesday...but behold...overnight the phucking glue held and here I am. maybe in the future I will change it to an AVO but i think if I paint that thing, it will look better. Besides, it isn't exactly in a part of the car where I constantly look at. I will have a 7 inch screen there to gaze at...not gonna worry about some other plastic.

I know I am cheap by not buying the AVO kit...but I fail to see the huge difference between my unpainted bracket and what the cars in the picture have.

I am aiming for the looks in the picture where the monitor is not turned on.

Picture_015s.jpg.2398494c36fa46322cfc57629da34395.jpg

aaaiuoj.jpg.38c394e8e4ad960afa67e1689b87d3af.jpg

Unpainted, but mounted on the car; including the Jazzy device.

Indeed, one does not really need the AVO kit unless s/he is obsessed with perfection. One needs not splice no wires, but indeed one must cut thru a plastic bracket to allow the harness to reach the clock/ to make room for the clock.

1041577931_DSCF3461(Large).thumb.JPG.17841713da31c884ca71782852f7af8e.JPG

210284985_DSCF3462(Large).thumb.JPG.81860afcb5f0102096271fbd5f7a3169.JPG

You do realize that for what I am doing I actually just need to dismiss the Airbag light. But no, it is well visible from the normal driving position. I have it mounted at a different angle than the AVO unit. I actually have it on either outside temp or average mpg - but keep in mind I will have on screen display of fuel economy and time via the car pc front end software. I think it came out decently.

I'd like to see it painted to match the entire plate as well has hide the lines with probably bondo so that all you see the screen but overall it looks good. Maybe being recessed would be cool too instead of being flush.

looking great! :) i may end up redoing my set up at some point, but it's on the back burner for now. it does work, but i've not had much time to really work on the car system.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 months later...
I am aiming for the looks in the picture where the monitor is not turned on.

These two pictures look very familiar to me.

Wait a second, it is my car!

Hahah

Just kidding.

However, I think you are doing much better than my current screen setup now.

Keep us updated!

• 4 months later...
:lol: I made my own last night also, I just saw this thread today but i made my own plastic piece, and it works like a charm. I would rather make my own than waste $200 on a adapter piece, even if I have to sacrifice minor looks.

Archived