LegacyGT.com

USDM Key nuisance?

So, this is my fourth car with a keyless remote, and I must say that this is the worst setup I have ever used. I keep my car and house keys in my pocket, and if I sit down, bend over (not in THAT way, you sick freaks), or reach into my jeans pocket, one of the buttons always gets indavertently pushed and I hear the car lock/unlock. There has got to be somether better, available soon!!!! I read the thread that discussed the JDM keys, which are pretty cool. Anyone know if/how you can get aftermarket remotes without changing the alarm system?
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agree with the complaints about the keyless entry system. It's so easy to accidently press one of the buttons. And it seems to have got worse the more it gets used. Annoying on a $30K car to have a piece of junk like that. They should have taken a lesson from VW-Audi - I liked the folding key they use.

It was driving me insane and I took remote apart.

The result is paper clip reshaped to this form and cut off the extra.

After that I compared this remote to the other remote that I have and it works much better.

remote.jpg.3092f901733a167940acf085e9b81151.jpg

I was going to call SOA, but I accidently unlocked my car when placing my keyfob transmitter in my pocket. Somebody stole my cell phone out of the car! Just joking... I've spoken about this issue with SOA. What have you done, Timmayy?

[quote name='dimil']It was driving me insane and I took remote apart. The result is paper clip reshaped to this form and cut off the extra. After that I compared this remote to the other remote that I have and it works much better.[/QUOTE] That's a great idea! I'm going to have to try that! Thanks Dimil!

Doesn anyone know who makes the alarm system for Subaru. Perhaps Clifford or something? If so, I wonder if I could just pick up a new remote at a car stereo place and get it programmed for my car.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

This thread cracks me up. Pay attention to what you do with the remote, and you will have no problems. Should the keys have been recessed or raised? Sure, but the same things would have happened with raised keys, or recessed ones would wear out more quickly, the way that similar remote controls do. If this is all we have to worry about with the new GT, I'd say it's doing just fine. :D Kevin

Don't get me wrong. I love my GT. I started this thread not to gripe, but to find a solution...that's all.

Normally I'd agree with you GTGuy. But in this case, I think the problem is that the buttons have too much surface area compared to most remotes. I've also found myself accidentally locking/unlocking the car while working around the yard and it's not been such an issue for me with all the other remotes that I've used in the last 17 years. The issue to really watch out for is accidentally popping the trunk on the sedans. In my experience, the trunk light comes on as soon as the trunk latch is released even if the lid looks closed. I had a dead battery the next morning.

GTGuy, We're talking about poor ergonomics and stupid design. No other remote I own or have owned exhibits these traits. Most people place their ignition key and remote into a pocket after parking the car. The key can press against the remote as can any other article one happens to have in one's pocket. The remote can trigger involuntarly, which is disconcerting as the car can be unlocked. The only 100% certain way to avoid the problem is to carry your key with the remote dangling and not put in in a pocket until you are out of range. The designer responsible for this should be fired. Based on the number of complaints posted here as well as those reported to the service masnager at my dealer (he says it's the most populasr complaint) the only conclusion I come to is the remote was never field tested and validated. I can only hope Subaru tested the other parts of my car. Perhaps you don't have this problem 'cuz you wear them baggy hip-hop gansta pants. Word.:lol:

[quote name='Trent Bates'] ...The issue to really watch out for is accidentally popping the trunk on the sedans. In my experience, the trunk light comes on as soon as the trunk latch is released even if the lid looks closed. I had a dead battery the next morning.[/QUOTE] According to this thread [URL=http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071[/URL] the interior lights can be set to automatically turn off after 30 minutes, which will save your battery. I'm surprised that's not the default setting from the factory. I don't have a Legacy yet as I only ordered it 2 weeks ago, but with keys & fobs in my pocket I have inadvertantly activated the trunk release on my current car (GM) several times. Fortunately, power to the lights (including trunk) cut off after several minutes. I've even set of the panic button on the fob for the wife's vehicle (Ford) a couple of times. The first time, before I realized it was her vehicle going off in the garage, I got P.O.'d thinking which idiot neighbor set off their car alarm and can't figure out how to turn it off!

Archived