LegacyGT.com

VDC Stereo Installed - works perfectly

rao

A 10 minute job tops and it works great :D HVAC works and the stereo works perfectly. The only strange thing which I noticed is that the random function turns itself off when you switch to the radio, but at least it is easy to turn on again. I will check the subwoofer output when I get a chance. I had posted pics of the radio here: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3538[/url]

Except in the VDC where it goes to the rear harness because there is a factory installed sub in the storage area. One of the black plugs is for the steering wheel controls and the sub (the stock stere has the plug as well). I am guessing that it is just a speaker level output and I have followed it to where it goes to the rear harness but I haven't tested it yet or located it at the back of the car. I don't know if it is crossed over or not so it may make more sense to just use a line out converter on the fronts or rears coming out of the regular stereo connector.

[quote name='rao']Except in the VDC where it goes to the rear harness because there is a factory installed sub in the storage area. One of the black plugs is for the steering wheel controls and the sub (the stock stere has the plug as well). I am guessing that it is just a speaker level output and I have followed it to where it goes to the rear harness but I haven't tested it yet or located it at the back of the car. I don't know if it is crossed over or not so it may make more sense to just use a line out converter on the fronts or rears coming out of the regular stereo connector.[/quote] Does the stock unit have the plug for the steering wheel controls?

It does read ID3 tags. The stock stereo does have the plug for the sttering wheel controls and the car has the wiring in place as well. Also, the subwoofer output does work. I have only traced the wires to the front passenger's kick panel but I haven't found them at the back of the car - yet ;)

[quote name='rao']It does read ID3 tags. The stock stereo does have the plug for the sttering wheel controls and the car has the wiring in place as well. Also, the subwoofer output does work. I have only traced the wires to the front passenger's kick panel but I haven't found them at the back of the car - yet ;)[/quote] Now you really have me excited! The stock GT Ltd has the steering wheel wiring harness installed? Is the harness plugged into the radio? Do you have any details where it terminates under the dash? I want to make up a pod with micro switches to mount behind the wheel but my dealer service told me only the VDC has the harness installed, probably BS.

[quote name='rao']I don't know about the end at the stering wheel, but the plug at the radio is definately there. The steering wheel controls only use 2 wires.[/quote] Very interesting. I have the wiring diagram thanks to Jedimaster but it appeared to have more than 2 wires. Thanks for the input.

I hope you find something, though I will be surprised! When I had my radio out, I did a wire count of those two smaller plugs on the back of the radio/hvac unit. When you take into account all the HVAC functions that each use a wire (fan, temp sensor, numerous duct dampers and valves, AC, etc....) then consider the steering wheel controls (gotta be more than two wires for volume +/-, track +/-, etc... ), it did not seem to me that there would be extra wires for a sub. Some of the other Subaru radios do have a separate sub connector, but they don't tie into HVAC or steering wheel controls. Craig

Cool, well I am anxious to hear if you can trace that wire back. I assume it comes out near the side storage pocket in the passenger side of the hatch area?? That would be pretty cool if we could add a sub back there simply by plugging it in.... Anybody tried to see if the VDC sub assembly can be ordered and the price? I'm sure it would be cheaper to put an aftermarket component sub back there, but then you'd have to integrate and tune it. Of course, you could just wire in something like an Infinity Basslink and be done with it.... Craig

On the wagons it is on the right hand side in the wire that comes under the rear seat - look for a 2 pin plug with a white and red wire. On the sedans it appears that the wire goes to the end of the instrument panel harness but does not continue on to the rear harness :( At least it makes it easy to either tap in a liine out converter or to run the wires to a speaker level input. I hooked up a speaker to it last night and it definately works, all low frequencies and non-fading.

Seems odd that Subaru still offers the underseat sub when you could just plug into the harness and put a sub in the location the VDC uses. I think I would prefer to have a sub in the back. I will have to check this out and see what I can put back there. Thanks for your research! Craig

Under $600? Sweet! So does it work with VBR? Manual says it isn't supported, but it still works, right? Reverse engineer that thing, and make a mp3 BIOS upgrade patch for the oem stereo for us!!! :p

• 3 months later...
Does VBR work or not with this guy? If I have to get my stereo replaced, I'm going to see if I can pay the difference to upgrade to the VDC. If it won't do VBR, it's worthless to me though.

[quote name='!S4']Does VBR work or not with this guy? If I have to get my stereo replaced, I'm going to see if I can pay the difference to upgrade to the VDC. If it won't do VBR, it's worthless to me though.[/QUOTE] Also being able to get music from my collection in flac, ape, mp3 and ogg would obviously be nice.. I can only dream.. *sigh*

[quote name='rao']So skeptical at such a young age :lol: Freerip. High of 160 low of 40. I have no idea what the average was, but I played it back on the computer and wateched the bit rate change every few seconds.[/QUOTE]Since you're an early adopter, do you mind trying some encodes out? I can send some stuff to you or whatever.

Archived