LegacyGT.com

SPEC-B with PINKS installed REVIEW.....OMG !!

RaceComp Engineering

http://gtworx.com/catalog/product_in...oducts_id=1199

Spec B pinks on our sister site gtworx.com

Well let me say this I have driven and owned alot of cars over the last 20 years. 77' 280Z, 67' Cutlass W30, 88' Golf GTi with DRAKE RACING motor( 150whp), 88 Jetta 16v with G60 with Motorsport G lader 220whp and 6 speed, Rabbit ITB racecar, 944 turbo racecar, 2.5 RS, 04 STi, and now the wife's LEG SPEC-B.

The above cars had Bilsteins, Motons, Koni's, Tokico, Zeal, and Ohlins.

We installed the Spec-B specific JDM Pinks this past week to the "SPEC"

( we call it). I will say that we were amazed at the subtle changes this made. We have had the car for 8 weeks now and I have logged alot of time in the drivers seat. Many back roads, many SUPER bumpy city streets. Alot of DC streets and construction zones with SLOW signs on both side of the road. I have pitched this car, driven it hard, given it the full treatment. I t has passed each test with flying colors. THing is,.....that was BEFORE the springs. So imagine you win a NEW HOUSE,.......only to find a GT3 and a S203 in the garage ALSO !! THats what this is like. When you didnt think it could get any better, it keeps on getting better.

We added the Cobb Access Port a month ago. WOW !!! I added the Endless Vita's 2 weeks ago....WOW !! So when the package comes together and the Pinks join us for dinner, its really a treat !!

Driving this car on a smooth surface after the install,...NOTHING CHANGED. Almost dissapointing. So we jumped onto a horrible bumpy backroad with elavation changes and surface irregularities that would make the Paris Roubaix look like Socal roads. I mean it was horrible. It was in this environment that the Bilsteins paired with the pinks could really strut its stuff(no pun). This ride is comparable to

BMW 540 with SPORT package. AMAZING.

CASE IN POINT: My lovely wife, LIZ,....devoted car nut and 4 Subaru owner and Subaru employee. After I added 100 whp to my STI, Liz drove it and said......." uhhhh, so like what am I looking for?........." ( I was crushed,..lol).

She drove the SPEC to work and later said,........" OMG,..like , can I tell you how much those springs RULE !!".

She went on talking about it for a while and it was genuine. Today with a full tank and 3 people in the car it just shines. Cornering is flatter and when pushed the Bilsteins feel as though they can do what they were intended to do,...dampen. The stock springs suck so bad that I think the Bilsteins are over worked.

So I am thinking about getting rid of the STi. I want this set up with 400whp and a B4 front bumper, Recaro sport seats and Alcantara dash. Oh some nice Fikse mesh wheels would be in order also. HD screen on the dash and dual STi mufflers.

Here are the pictures, mind you it has snowed here off and on for 2 weeks.

Ride height isnt as low as Pinks on a GT. THats the real surprise here. We had a chance to look at our old 05 GT today side by side.

Well, more pics and sway bars coming this week. Cusco front and rear. Stay tuned.

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Rce/SPEC_B_install_4.sized.jpg

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Rce/SPEC_B_install_5.sized.jpg

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Rce/SPEC_B_install.sized.jpg

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Rce/SPEC_B_install_1.sized.jpg

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Rce/SPEC_B_install_2.sized.jpg

Myles Williams

www.GTWORX.com

www.racecompengineering.com

410-730-7223

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ride goes beyond anything anyone would ever imagine from Subaru. I feel like this combination of slightly massaging each crucial aspect of the car is very nice and while subtle, HUGE difference. The extra torque from the AP makes it fun, the stopping power of just pads gives a extra sensse of security, and now the springs remove the FLOAT that the Bilsteins fought from the stock springs.

Anyone want a ride, call me. It is really this amazing. FYI: these feel the same as the JDM struts and pinks I drove on a 05 Gt 6 months ago.

Myles

Myles,

Thanks for the write up, Sounds like a winning combo. It is amazing to me that the Spec has stock GT sway bars and handles this well. It should be awesome with the Cusco's at the dinner table. Any chance you are going to test the Swift Sport Machs to see how they work with the Bilsteins?

How did I know this would happen? People are going to buy the SpecB and then mod it out to the exact same point guys are modding their GTs to and end up with basically the same car. lol Isn't the suspension basically the only thing different on the SpecB other than the rims and some bling?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

How did I know this would happen? People are going to buy the SpecB and then mod it out to the exact same point guys are modding their GTs to and end up with basically the same car. lol Isn't the suspension basically the only thing different on the SpecB other than the rims and some bling?

Well if you haven't driven the car, then it makes sense why you say that. Most who have driven it note the VAST difference in suspension feel and handling. Very simply put, the suspension MAKES this car.

Go drive it then make comments.

Myles

Just to confirm, do you mind posting the part numbers of the STi Pinks you used? This is a mod I'm very interested in doing myself.

Also, I'm curious why you'd want to change out the sway bars if the car stays pretty flat now, are you trying to dial out understeer?

Thanks,

Brian

No thanks. I'm pretty happy with my car the way it is. I'm sure it can get better, but that is the way it is with everything. Nobody here has the best suspension setup in the world. I'm sure whoever does have the best setup on the board can still think of things they would like to do to improve it. I guess I don't understand why one would pay a premium for a car that is basically the same as mine but with better suspension and then take off the parts that make it what it is only to replace them with parts they could have still bought if they had the base model LGT. Maybe I'm missing what it is that you did, but didn't you replace suspension parts with pieces that I could buy for my car? What was the point in paying the extra for the SpecB if the suspension wasn't good enough? You could have just bought an LGT and upgraded that with the money saved, couldn't you? I'm not trying to be a punk or argue, i'm just trying to understand.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Myles,

Thanks for the write up, Sounds like a winning combo. It is amazing to me that the Spec has stock GT sway bars and handles this well. It should be awesome with the Cusco's at the dinner table. Any chance you are going to test the Swift Sport Machs to see how they work with the Bilsteins?

We are doing SWIFTS soon to s local car and yes I will drive back to back for comparison.

Myles

OC, this isnt about the SPEC-B vs GT.....its about adding the PINKS to the SPec-B. SOA isnt going to bring the car into the country with the Pinks on it. So this is just another step in the process. As suspension guys we tend to think outside the box on these issues. If I were on a budget and it were for ME, I might get a BLACK GT 2006 with NAV and do Bilsteins and Pinks,..but the wife works for Subaru and wanted this car. So yes we are on different pages, but again, the thread is about adding Pinks to the Bilsteins.

Myles

Just to confirm, do you mind posting the part numbers of the STi Pinks you used? This is a mod I'm very interested in doing myself.

Also, I'm curious why you'd want to change out the sway bars if the car stays pretty flat now, are you trying to dial out understeer?

Thanks,

Brian

Well its relative. ITs much improved over stock, but like anything you get used to it and you push harder......simple.

Myles

Maybe I'm missing what it is that you did, but didn't you replace suspension parts with pieces that I could buy for my car? What was the point in paying the extra for the SpecB if the suspension wasn't good enough? You could have just bought an LGT and upgraded that with the money saved, couldn't you?

He didn't throw out the struts - he just added the pinks to the stock Bilstein's. We'd have to buy the Bilststeins to match his setup.

Racecomp, just to confirm (if you know), the Spec B's springs are the same as on the GT?

Matt

I want a ride!!!

I already have the pink springs that I got from you...can I just get the bilstien struts or do I have to get the whole new shabang (STi Spec.B Springs and Spec.B Bilstien struts). Does Bilstien have an adjustable strut combo too??? AND MOST IMPORTANT- How Much???

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

And myles...you can drive my car with Cobb's AP stage II 93 oct. v1.15, Uppipe, Downpipe, custom catback with 1 resonator and no mufflers and their pulley too!!!;)

What was the point in paying the extra for the SpecB if the suspension wasn't good enough? You could have just bought an LGT and upgraded that with the money saved, couldn't you? I'm not trying to be a punk or argue, i'm just trying to understand.

Off topic but compare sticker price of a specB and GT, factor out the price of the suspension, nav, and all of the other little bits and it is really a pretty good deal. You are paying for more than a fancy title and well worth it in my opinion.

Sorry Myles, back on topic-

________

IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW

Off topic but compare sticker price of a specB and GT, factor out the price of the suspension, nav, and all of the other little bits and it is really a pretty good deal. You are paying for more than a fancy title and well worth it in my opinion.

Sorry Myles, back on topic-

Dont forget better resale

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

To add to that....the suspension upgrades of a Spec B over an LGT are not limited to the springs that Myles upgraded (aluminum controls arms for example). The springs and swaybars on the Spec B are the same or very similar to those on the LGT....many have swapped these for better units so why wouldn't a Spec B owner do the same? Seems logical to me.

I have Spec B Bilsteins on my car and while the springs are stiffer than stock LGT, the car could benefit from an upgrade to pinks. ;)

Archived