LegacyGT.com

3,750 or 7,000mi for first service?

Subaru indicates 7k as the first service, although they do point out the "dealers in your area" may have different schedules based on climate, etc. The local dealer is looking to do the first service at 3,750mi.

I was thinking either 5k or leaving it till 7k as recommended by Subaru. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance -

Kent ('05 LGT 5M Wagon, 3700mi)

I just did my first oil change at 3K miles. Asked the delaership if this was correct, and they said yeah. Now that they stuck a sticker on the windshield it lists as the next oil change as being after 4K miles, so who knows what the right interval is. I will change my oil every 3K miles regardless.

X

---

OK - if you have a little bit of mechanical skills, you can change your own oil in about 20 min (the first few will be a bit longer). I've been doing that on my cars for quite some time now because I prefer the synthetic. The first change should definitely be between 2-3k miles, as it's a new engine. After that, it is not as much as an issue to be that low. If you use regular oil, then every 4-6k miles is fine - if you keep changing it and keeping it clean, then your engine will last a long time. With synthetics you can go longer, 6-10k depending on brand.

It really doesn't matter where you get it changed, as long as it's a reputable place.

I have done my oil changes for a long time as well, but sometimes when the car is new and still under warranty sometimes it pays to go to the dealership so that threre is a record of your service in case something comes down the line with warranty work. When you develop a good relationship with the service department they tens to treat you better, that has been my case so far.

Now, if you are going to do the oil change yourself, or through a third party I suggest one thing. Get the OEM filter and chrus washer for the drain plug. I would not rely on third party places to use OEM filter or replace tha crush washer. You'll be amazed as to how much a worn/non-existant crush washer contributes to oil leaks.

X

---

Well, if you do your own oil changes you're suppose to keep a record of it or you can log it at mysubaru website. If you're worried then bring it to a dealer also mysubaru website has the recommended service intervals and what hsould be changed each time you go in.

Well according to my manual and the my.subaru.com website, first oil change is at 3750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

7k miles seems a tad long for a first oil change...

Sometimes the recommended service intervals/mileages change with model years however.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I plan to eventually keep it between 3 and 5k. I had my first change at 800 miles, then another at 3000, and now I'm having one at 4000 because I'm getting something else adjusted. Otherwise I would have waited until 5k or so.

I am changing it a bit more frequently as the car is still fairly new.

If you have a 3.0 engine, that's correct. For the other engines, 7.5K is the first oil change. At least that's according to my car's owner's manual.

It can't hurt to do an oil change at 3K, especially with a new engine.

i thought the manual said 3k for the first and 7.5 thereafter.

I do mine every 3k miles regardless.

3k always and forever (with synthetics)

But I did my oil changes at 1k, 2k, 3k then 6 k, 9 k etc...

I was something like that. I think 1K, 3K, 5K, 7.5K all with conventional oil and 10K with synthetic. Every 5K now on the good stuff. IMO, unless you drive incredibly hard, changing out quality Group IV and V synthetic oils at 3K intervals is a huge waste of money.

Subaru recommends the first oil change at 7,500 miles/7.5 months under normal conditions. It's unbelievalbe how much motor oil some people are willing to waste. Unless you think you understand tribology better than the PhDs Subaru employs, why would you ignore Subaru's recommendation?

I don't consider it a waste, but a investment. I know what Subaru recommends, but that won't stop them from taking your money when your engine craps out early due to broken down oils and a filter that is so clogged.

Like I said I believe todays oil will last 7500 miles, but no way is that small ass OEM Subaru oil filter going to keep all the particles out for 7500miles.

']Subaru recommends the first oil change at 7' date='500 miles/7.5 months under normal conditions. It's unbelievalbe how much motor oil some people are willing to waste. Unless you think you understand tribology better than the PhDs Subaru employs, why would you ignore Subaru's recommendation?[/quote']

IIRC Chrysler and Volkswagen recently pulled back the length of time on their recommended oil changes because of sludge problems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC Chrysler and Volkswagen recently pulled back the length of time on their recommended oil changes because of sludge problems.
It's true that engines produced by both companies have had sludge problems (see http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/engine-sludge-805/overview.htm). What were their recommended oil change intervals before they "pulled back?"

It's difficult to imagine a Subaru experiencing a sludge problem after only 7,500 miles/7.5 months on an oil change.

Slightly off topic. Has ANYONE encountered a Subaru dealership which hasn't classified its area's prevailing driving conditions as "severe" and therefore recommended the twice-as-frequent oil changes?

Subaru Canada recommend oil changes at 6,000 km, I guess that's because of the harsher climate. Although I can't see that it's any colder here than in Buffalo.
That's roughly 3,750 miles, half of SOA's recommended interval. Is that only for the first oil change, or for all on the Legacy GT?

Jon,

Not sure what tribiology has to do with lubrication and mechanical wear?? I will stick with 300 miles for first. When I did my first change there was a lot of metal in the oil. Maybe tribiology says that is good for the engine?? I dont think so! I also stick with the 3000 miles after that. The molecules of the oil will shear as they are lubricating the engine. They also get polluted with lots of crap. Dont know about you, but I can feel the improved response in excelleration after an oil change. Oils still cheap. Could be that the auto cos. are trying to make all of the people that are looking for less maintenance sleep better.

My 2cents.

Jon,

Not sure what tribiology has to do with lubrication and mechanical wear??

The field of study is TRIBOLOGY (a definition is at http://www.answers.com/tribology&r=67) and it is most definitely focused on "lubrication and mechanical wear."

The molecules of the oil will shear as they are lubricating the engine. They also get polluted with lots of crap. Dont know about you, but I can feel the improved response in excelleration after an oil change.
For someone who's never heard of the word tribology, you're quite the expert, and a speller Mark Twain would admire:
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.

Archived