LegacyGT.com

Another Cubby DIN installation for you guys...

Eric L

My friend Chris (did most of the work.... :)) helped me put in my alpine head unit using the AVO/Subaru Cubby DIN Bezel...

Here's some pictures...

http://home.comcast.net/~IMPREZvWRX/LGTinstall1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~IMPREZvWRX/LGTinstall2.jpg

Had two problems with the install...

1. Chris had to cut out some plastic that didn't seem to have any purpose behind the cubby...

2. You need to have at least the power line going to the stock head unit or else your climate controls go dead...

Oh yea.. to remove the stock stereo just in case its not written up anywhere...

1. Pry up the chrome around your shifter.

2. Lift up shifter trim (clips only)

3. side trim pieces now can come off (screws at base... everything else is clips)

4. 6 screws to take out your stock radio to access the stuff back there.

Easy after we figured it out.

Next week comes the amp, sub, and door speakers...

Eric

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Kudos on tackling this. However, it just doesn't look right to me. Just my opinion though. The install is VERY clean, maybe it's just that I couldn't see myself using the radio in that location. I dunno. Congrats on a job well done though. :)

Wow. Kudos on tackling this. However, it just doesn't look right to me. Just my opinion though. The install is VERY clean, maybe it's just that I couldn't see myself using the radio in that location. I dunno. Congrats on a job well done though. :)

Well, the install was not that bad using that bezel... and having a friend who is a wiz with that kind of stuff. As soon as my climate controls went out, he was able to fab up a temporary solution til i get a reverse harness for a permanant one.

I used the Alpine 9830 head unit... it has multi angles and a remote... so i really don't reach up there... and it tucks away a little deeper into the cubby when off so its harder to see from outside the car. Its taking getting used to (used to stock) but i love it.

By the way.. the stock speakers sound 100% better out of a real headunit... Though I can't wait to add the JL amp and Sub...

This is a nice alternative for those who dont' wanna wait for the clean sweep... the head unit was like 250 and the bezel was like 115... so cheaper... maybe not as easy though...

Eric

1. Chris had to cut out some plastic that didn't seem to have any purpose behind the cubby...

Eric

The plastic that you cut out is your dashboard support. I don't think cutting it out would do anything. Maybe if it gets to 120F in your car with the sun beating down on the dash, it might warp. :eek:

I hope I don't have to cut anything out for my install.

Looks real nice. Trust me know how much of a pain installing in the cubby is. Just Installed a couple of gauges there a few weeks a ago.

My question is, will it remain visually that you have two stereos? Is your old stereo completely not functional? I heard they make a replacement din for the climate/stereo area for replacement stereo's. I think it was selling for $80.

Yes you loose your stock stereo.........Yes it looks like visually you have two stereo's. As you need the stock unit to run the air controls

and Fire up the details of what you heard for this replacements, numbers to call, web links?? Anything. I'm sure 30% of the people on this board would buy them if this were true but there are no dash kits availible for our cars as far as I know. Just the one that fits in the cubby that he and I both used: http://www.pimpmyauto.com/pic_stereo.htm

I know a guy in the business who in oassing said he could get the kit. I will follow up with him to find out details...

Please post up info when you contact him. LOTS of people are curious. Heh heh.

I know a guy in the business who in oassing said he could get the kit. I will follow up with him to find out details...

i know of one that is for the manual climate control... not for the auto

Yes you loose your stock stereo.........Yes it looks like visually you have two stereo's. As you need the stock unit to run the air controls

Not sure if this guy making the kit is aware that the automatic climate controls are IN the factory radio...and if I had the auto controls, I sure wouldn't wanna lose them! (In fact, I'd like to retrofit them into my WRX) If there were a kit, the circuit board, screen, and buttons would be a part of the kit, which would get really expensive.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. (I helped Eric with this install) BTW, the factory radio will still be functional as a 6-disc CD changer connected to the Alpine's AUX input. ;) It will also be the radio tuner until Metra starts shipping the antenna adapter. :rolleyes:

BTW, the factory radio will still be functional as a 6-disc CD changer connected to the Alpine's AUX input. ;) It will also be the radio tuner until Metra starts shipping the antenna adapter. :rolleyes:

are there any aftermarket stereos with TWO aux inputs? i wanted to use the factory radio like you did ("6 CD changer"), but have an MP3 player hooked in as well.

are there any aftermarket stereos with TWO aux inputs? i wanted to use the factory radio like you did ("6 CD changer"), but have an MP3 player hooked in as well.

Yes. Alpine head units which are Versatile Link ready can use the KCA-410C to have two AUX inputs and up to two changers/iPod controller installed and all controlled by the head unit.

• 2 weeks later...

i know of one that is for the manual climate control... not for the auto

Anything more on either of these? I've got manual controls, and am looking at putting a 1DIN faceplate (omnifi dmp1) into my cubby, which I would think would fit without having to cut the dash support.

How was the AVO cubby for install aside from the dash support issue?

Thanks for all the descrips and pics. Nice looking install.

How was the AVO cubby for install aside from the dash support issue?

No issues, it wasn't my car I was cutting up. :lol:

All kidding aside, it's so easy to cut that out, I wouldn't even consider it an issue. The physical install is pretty straightforward if you're not afraid to tear into a new car.

A little OT, and maybe I'm just clueless (likely) but I didn't know the L came with volume controls on the steering wheel. Thats what I see in your pics right?

:D

Those are the 5EAT up/down gear shifter buttons..

HV

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, I'm new to the boards, actually just bought an 05 Atlantic Blue GT, get to pick it up tomorrow :). Anyway my question is about the cubby kit. Where can i buy it and how much is it?

PS. my first post yeeah!

Jebus.... I use to do car stereo install professionally in my late teens, never seen a dash kit without any buttons, ac controls, or displays for more then $40. Looks like a little abs plastic and 2 metal supports. I just paid cash for the Subaru, im so broke if i run out of gas this week i'll have to syphon it from my bike. Anyway thanks for the reply :)

Welcome C_low78, fellow ABP LGT owner! :)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived