LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Pump Whine

I stumbled across some threads about fluids being low from the factory, and it reminded me that I have noticed a whine when I turn the wheel at low speeds coming from my Pump. I checked the fluid, which was below the Cold Min. Thought maybe this was the culprit, but after buying Subaru ATF/PSF and filling up the tank, the whine is still there.

Is it normal to have this noise? I have not experienced any symptoms of any PS loss or any other issue other than the sound.

The car has 930 miles on it.

I had the same thing, probably posted in the threads you read. I think it is a little louder than it should be, especially for a brand-new car, everything checked out at the dealer so they say. Before warranty is over, maybe I'll crank the wheel to full lock and do donuts for a couple of hours...

-B

I had the same thing, probably posted in the threads you read. I think it is a little louder than it should be, especially for a brand-new car, everything checked out at the dealer so they say. Before warranty is over, maybe I'll crank the wheel to full lock and do donuts for a couple of hours...

-B

I saw a reference to a whine somewhere but that person said more fluid fixed it. It is louder than I like, but if normal Ill live with it.

I have been steadily losing fluid since purchasing the car. I have logged it with the dealer every 3750 miles (during oil change appts), and they always find no leaks and just top off the fluid. At this point, while I am annoyed at the lack of closure to this issue, it is no more than a minor inconvenience. Since the car is in for an oil change anyway, as long as I'm not paying to have them deal with it, then fine. However, I sure would like to know where the fluid goes, just for my peace of mind.

The point is, check your fluid levels. My pump doesn't get abnormally loud (granted it is much louder than it probably ought to be in the first place, but whatever) unless the fluid starts to get low.

- Dan

Archived