LegacyGT.com

Yet another aux in for the 05/06 Legacy

RedFloyd

Hi guys!

I'm currently developing a custom aux in board for use in the 2005 2006 factory head unit of the Legacy or Outback. You don't need any silent cd or ground loop remover. You just plug in your I-pod/mp3/sirius and you're on the go.

You have access to all bass/mid/treble and balance/fader adjustment when using the auxiliary input. The radio and cd changer still works as before when not using the auxiliary input.

The board uses auto detection of the music to activate the auxiliary input, and you also have an optional external switch to set it always on/auto/off.

For those who can read french, please read this http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com/mscforum/viewtopic.php?t=72346&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 on Montreal Subaru Club witch is where it all started.

The aux in board sits into the head unit, so you have to partially disassemble it. Only one wire needs to be soldered on the main board, and a flat cable needs to be plugged into the cd changer connector. The cd changer cable is then plugged into to aux in board.

I will be shipping the first units within a month, the price should be under 100$ CAN. So for you guys that lives in US you will have a better price due to currency exchange rates.

Please tell me if you’re interested to buy, so that I can evaluate how many should I build of them!

Regards,

Sébastien

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that there's not any comments about my aux in.. anyway...

The pcb's are on order and should arrive first week of june. I will post pictures of it once finished.

I am willing to sell you some since I'm confident that I made a real quality aux in (I'm a king of audiophile, you see?). I have the parts to build 30 boards, so please for those interested, ask questions if you want more information about how it works and if it works!! haha!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Also, excuse my relatively poor english since I don't usually write or speach english in my usual daily living.

Sébastien

More news in two weeks when I'll receive the pcb's.

Up to now, I did tests on protoboard with a salvaged Leg GT radio. Everything works great! I'm really hoping good result with the pcb's.

Here's a not so good simulated 3D image of the board. Please note that the connectors are not exactly as the real ones, but I gives you an idea of the size of the thing. For your information it's dimensions are 3.5'' x 1,12'' so it fit inside the radio.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1434/auxin3d.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/auxin3d.jpg/1/w1208.png

This would be for only the integrated stereo/climate control version?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Where is the aux in port going to be located? I am very interested in this. Thanks,

Kyle

The aux in port would be located where you want it to be located! The board itself fits inside the head unit. There's an 1/8'' stereo audio cable that plugs into the aux in board. To other end of that cable can be located anywhere.

From there, you have two options.

First, you can buy a cable that have one 1/8'' male stereo jack at both ends. Like this one:

102001.jpg

One end plugs into the aux board, and the other plugs directly into your mp3. You have to route the cable under the center console and into the armrest.

Second, you drill a hole in the center console of your car and fix a 1/8'' female stereo jack or a pair of RCA plugs and then you use another cable to connect to your mp3.

Im very interested aswell just aslong as there not to much work involved!

It is an intermediate solution between the aux in with a silent cd and the other one that uses the hidden SAT button.

You still have to open up the head unit, but you don't have to cut traces or remove parts on the pcb. For the aux in be able to work without a silent cd, you still have to solder 1 (one) and only 1 wire to the under side of the pcb. Maybe, if you want, someone can do it for you since it's a pretty easy task.

Don't worry, I will make well detailled instructions on how to install everything.

This would be for only the integrated stereo/climate control version?

Not shure about that, since I don't know if it's the same headunit in all 05 - 06 Legacy. I'm pretty shure they are all the same, except for the 6 cd changer. So the aux in would fit in your radio.

Why is there no need for a ground loop isolator with your Aux-In board?

Because there is one integrated onto the aux in board. I'm using a differential amplifier as a buffer for the input. So the input is not ground related. There is no galvanic isolation between the input and the radio, but a small voltage or noise can be filtered out. And since the difference in voltage on the ground system of the car is minimal, I'm confident that the noise induced can be filtered out. The common mode rejection ratio is around -30dB (have to check this in the lab)...

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your interest!

Still no other updates, everything is ready except the pcb... They should arrive by 10th of june. As soon as I have them I will built a prototype and test everything.

I assure you that I will give you all the last news ;)

Glad to see that MVigneau is not seeing me as a "bad competitor" because I really dont want to start a war of the aux! :lol: Each one is having their pro's and their con's! :)

Not shure about that, since I don't know if it's the same headunit in all 05 - 06 Legacy. I'm pretty shure they are all the same, except for the 6 cd changer. So the aux in would fit in your radio.

There are at least two distinctly different units - one with the heating & A/C integrated, the other separate. We got the base model partly because we didn't want the integrated unit.

So this probably will not work with ours.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived