LegacyGT.com

How to make an STS "Shorty Shifter"

At the request of PatagonianGT, here is a fairly detailed description on how to shorten the stock subaru STS shifter 35mm. The maximum amount by the way.

Tools:

12mm wrench and 12mm socket and drive for removing linkage.

½ capacity drill (optional)

Belt sander (optional)

Snap ring pliers

12mm x 1.25 rethreading die (P/N 03866811 from MSC direct ~$10.00

Flat mill file (if you want remove the flange by hand) – very doable.

1 1/16 box wrench for driving the rethreading die

CRC or suitable cutting fluid. Don’t use motor oil

Ye olde hacksaw

Petroleum jelly for the repack

Ben Folds Five CD.

Step 1

Make a drawing to illustrate what you want to remove, rethread and shorten. Or use mine:) See jpeg

Step 2

Take shifter out of car- see other threads which describe this in detail. Thanks guys!

Step 3

Remove the forged flange on the shaft. I started with a hand file to make sure it could be done. It is very doable but will take some time and care. I used a ½ inch drill and a belt sander to clean up the shaft.

Step 4

Position shifter in a vice and thread the die down to bottom of existing thread. Then reposition shifter in vise so you are holding on the original thread. Crank down on so it won’t rotate in the vise jaws when you chase the thread down to 30mm above the vibration isolator. The thread you are smashing in the vice gets cut off in the last step anyway. The reason I did this was because the shaft is isolated from the rest of the shifter by a rubber over mold. If you hold on the large isolator tube and start to chase threads, I guarantee you will twist the shaft right out of the rubber isolator –then you’re buying a Kartboy! Chase the new thread down to a height of 30mm above the isolator tube. Use a suitable cutting fluid. I used CRC. I drove the die with a 1 1/16 box end wrench; you could use a crescent wrench in a pinch

Step 5

With the die still on the shaft, cut the shaft to 55mm from the top of the isolator tube and then chamfer the saw cut end. Lastly, back the die off the threads. This will remove any burrs that could mess up the Momo knob threads.

Step 6

Reassemble and Enjoy. The boot will now sit over the larger isolator shaft with just enough room for the rubber cover underneath. One note; when you reattach the linkage, be careful not to over tighten the bolt. I tightened the bolt until there was no play at all and then backed it off ever so slightly.

My observations:

1: Much much better feel. More positive engagement due to less leverage. very solid. I also removed all play from the linkage attachment point.

2: Shorter throw – shorter shifter = shorter arc length

3: Unexpected benefits – better access to the climate control system. No shift knob in the way!!! This one never even occurred to me until I drove the car. Retain the vbration isolation without giving up anything.

4: Better hand position, my wrist rests right on the hand break lever. Hard to explain, it just feels more natural.

5: It looks cool!

And, my wife thought I was nuts until she drove the car. Her reply, why didn’t Subaru do this in the first place? “It feels a lot sportier”

My Kartboy bushings come in tomorrow I will let you all know if there is added benefit.

If you are looking for a sportier shifting experience and don't want to shell out for a shifter. this is a simple and very effective mod.

Andy

IMG_2359.JPG.d499433f5edce72dbe3fe2e1deebed83.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG.15901be3be92d34df632ef50430f0968.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG.1ccf19eb96d678340d27216e4d3e1d8a.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG.3e55f014b6fc81e325523e317654a4ee.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG.27efd26df1ec57eb697638b227842ecc.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG.39bead7e66cd2d56f6a5f6446ccefe80.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG.ec8b750c8e4dba3da37d8900a493c7e2.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG.832fe8b09340f4d24c47fce3ef9c7a37.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG.27204398aa8ae13b12188215a007c484.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG.b1b0d761667076c0c215bdc175276e6e.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you tried it! I have no regrets on cutting the shifter stalk down to a reasonable height. As for the bushings, they are sitting on my work bench waiting to be installed. I just haven't had the time. It is on my short list of things to do. I will update the post when I get the bushings installed.

Andy

Perfomed this mod on standard shifter about a month ago, just because the standard height was not comfortable.

I would recommend this mod for anyone not happy with the stock shifter height, but does not want to install a shorter shifter.

Actually had to buy hack saw just for that. Don't regret it for a second! Took a road trip today ~250 miles and enjoed every shift! Manual tranny rocks!!

Hack sawers of this site unite!! :lol:

Allways had a grate deal of respect for people who aren't affraid to get ther hands dirty with positive outcome. ;)

Has anyone combined this mod with a short-throw mechanism? Any leverage problems?

STS stands for Short Throw Shifter, which is what I modified. No problems with leverage what so ever:)

mtenhoven:

Perfomed this mod on standard shifter about a month ago, just because the standard height was not comfortable.

I would recommend this mod for anyone not happy with the stock shifter height, but does not want to install a shorter shifter.

Did you find the shifter more notchy after you cut it down?

To suba_rus:

Thanks for your link to this mod

alpinefun,

I wouldn't say the shifter is more notchy, maybe just a little more effort when changing gears. It's still easy to change gears with just my thumb and index finger when I'm feeling a bit lazy.

I also changed the shift bushing which seemed to help "clean" the shifter movement up.

alpinefun,

I wouldn't say the shifter is more notchy, maybe just a little more effort when changing gears. It's still easy to change gears with just my thumb and index finger when I'm feeling a bit lazy.

I also changed the shift bushing which seemed to help "clean" the shifter movement up.

Man... you beat me to it:lol:

• 10 months later...
Doing it this way, 35mm is all you can get. In my opinion it is just right. If you look at the pictures, the knob sits right on the rubber isolater tube after the mod. To go lower you would have to cut the tube.

Modifying the lever arm without modifying the shifting mechanism is slightly less than brilliant. There is a reason STSs aren't just chopped stock units.

I thought it was brilliant! I was thinking this weekend after reading some of the other STS mods that this should be possible.

I am interested in what is different on a $120 STS? Other than the price. I am all ears. Lets hear it.

I have a '99 that I will investigate the same procedure.

Good job. People can do mods all day with money and paying someone else to do it. But when someone does it with nothing more than a little sweat, and some tools that is a true craftsman.

GOOD JOB!

I thought it was brilliant! I was thinking this weekend after reading some of the other STS mods that this should be possible.

I am interested in what is different on a $120 STS? Other than the price. I am all ears. Lets hear it.

I have a '99 that I will investigate the same procedure.

Good job. People can do mods all day with money and paying someone else to do it. But when someone does it with nothing more than a little sweat, and some tools that is a true craftsman.

GOOD JOB!

Because an actual STS changes the leverage. Shortening the lever arm (shifter) will give you a shorter throw via having a shorter distance to move your hand, but will also increase the effort required to shift, regardless of what some guy with a hacksaw says. A $120 STS moves the pivot point, it's not just a shorter top end.

Then again, if you feel like using a hacksaw on your $30k car to save a hundred bucks then that's your choice, albiet a slightly retarded one IMO. :shrug: Some people just like to do things the right way I guess.

:confused: you seem to be down on guys with hacksaws. This mod was done on a short throw shifter. The goal was to shorten the stalk and nothing else. If you do a little geometry you will also notice the arc length of the throw becomes smaller the closer you get to the pivot point.

the guy with the hacksaw.

I never said the arc length didn't get shorter.

The guy with common sense.

Don't take it the wrong way, but you WILL have increased effort chopping of the top of a shift lever. The end will move less, but you are NOT accomplishing the same thing as a true STS does, which (unless you are buying a junk one) accomplishes it's short throw by altering the pivot points.

Archived