LegacyGT.com

Pull Motor to replace clutch?!!!

Autoevo

Has anyone ever heard of pulling the engine to do a clutch job? I done quite a few clutch jobs before (never a subie) but i have never pulled an engine to do one. I heard through the grape vine that it is easier to pull the engine than to disconnect everything else associated with the tranny. Any input?

I think it's a wash. I replaced both recently, so obviously I removed the enigne first them the tranny. But when I do clutch next time I'll pull the tranny. It's one person job, while enigne really requires two.

Mine is slipping pretty bad, so I'm gonna do it soon. We are going to pull the engine because we don't have a lift. The person helping me out said that would be easier.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll post up some pics for your, according to your sig we have similar vehicles.

I'm replacing my clutch only because my engine is out already for something unrelated. Don't know how hard it is to do without removing the engine, but I'm sure it could be done.

You'd have to drop the transmission, which would be a pain in the ass without a lift.

I will have to flat back this job because i don't have access to a lift. One line of thinking is that if there are any complications, i.e. seized flywheel bolts, it would be easier to address those issues if the engine were out of the car. BTW the car is a 95 legacy outback wagon. Not sure if that has any bearing on the complexity of the job.

I will have to flat back this job because i don't have access to a lift. One line of thinking is that if there are any complications, i.e. seized flywheel bolts, it would be easier to address those issues if the engine were out of the car. BTW the car is a 95 legacy outback wagon. Not sure if that has any bearing on the complexity of the job.

Yes and no. I had to drill out flywheel bolts (frigging dealer overtorqued the stupid torx plus bolts on 05 LGT), but I did it after stripping the engine to the bare shortblock on my kitched counter :lol:

Drilling them with the engine dangling on a cherry picker would be a pain. Obviously you don't get access to the flywheel bolts with the enigne mounted on a stand.

With engine in car and transmission out it would be ok (but still pain).

I have a 96 legacy sedan we are planning to pull the engine on soon, so I'll have more info on how that goes later this week.

Thanks for everyone for the input! I am not doing the R&R for a couple of weeks anyway. I figure i will replace the flywheel with a lighten one since i have everything apart. I would defiantly appreciate any info on your up coming r&r job.

Thanks for everyone for the input! I am not doing the R&R for a couple of weeks anyway. I figure i will replace the flywheel with a lighten one since i have everything apart. I would defiantly appreciate any info on your up coming r&r job.

I'm replacing my flywheel too, but just with a stock one. I figured that I didn't know how it was treated for the 89,000 miles I didn't own the car, so replacing it is a good idea. I'm also replacing my rear main seal and throw out bearing while I'm in there. I can't wait to pull it all apart, it's going to be fun. And I'll make sure I have my camera.

I read the other thread that you may be referring to as to pulling the engine.

even if it were 1-2 hours faster....which it isn't... you have opened many normally closed systems.

now you have to reconect coolent lines, burp the coolent system

reconnect fuel lines

reconnect electrical connectors

each one of those things becomes a potential leak or other issue, not to mention that pulling an engine and then putting it back in is a great opportunity to scratch the paint badly or squish a brake fluid or PS fluid container or line

it's just not a good idea unless it's a necessity

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I read the other thread that you may be referring to as to pulling the engine.

even if it were 1-2 hours faster....which it isn't... you have opened many normally closed systems.

now you have to reconect coolent lines, burp the coolent system

reconnect fuel lines

reconnect electrical connectors

each one of those things becomes a potential leak or other issue, not to mention that pulling an engine and then putting it back in is a great opportunity to scratch the paint badly or squish a brake fluid or PS fluid container or line

it's just not a good idea unless it's a necessity

I would tend to agree. I was just trying to weigh out the time and ease benefits of the two. i think i will just pull the tranny.

Archived