LegacyGT.com

Clutch job this weekend

rlineberg

I just received the parts for my weekend project. I am putting ACT HD clutch / WRX flywheel combo in my 05 Legacy GT. I have done quite a few clutch jobs in the past, but this is the first AWD vehicle I have done.

I did a search and found that some people have had trouble getting flywheel bolts out and that the proper tool is a Torx Plus 50 to get those bolts out.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of... special tools? things to be careful with? tips in removing the front axles? tips in general?

All responses appreciated. Thanks

Any possibility of taking a few pictures along the way and posting them? This is in my future too and also would be greatly appreciated as I have a SPEC stage 3+ clutch and FW sitting in my garage for at least 6 months now.

No problem.

Apparently this is a highly recommended replacement with the clutch change. Clutch replease bearing, http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103461&highlight=clutch+sleeve

+1 for doing a walk through if possible. I can do the wrenching if I have proper pictures and instructions. Would like to avoid paying $500 bux if possible :)

Apparently this is a highly recommended replacement with the clutch change. Clutch replease bearing, http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103461&highlight=clutch+sleeve

+1 for doing a walk through if possible. I can do the wrenching if I have proper pictures and instructions. Would like to avoid paying $500 bux if possible :)

That's exactly why its been sitting in my garage for 6 mos ... looking to free up some disposable income.

Definitely do both bearings when you are in there ... but I'm sure you knew that with the previous clutch experience.

I got both from Jeremy at Fred Bean Subaru (vendor on this site) for under $50 shipped IIRC

The pilot bearing is the one in the rear of the crankshaft... the TOB bearing is the on on the snout (quill)... the sleeve kit is another item not included with those two items.

The pilot bearing is the one in the rear of the crankshaft... the TOB bearing is the on on the snout (quill)... the sleeve kit is another item not included with those two items.

Yup just the two bearings were all I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

Well guys... looks like I am cursed with the the pain in the butt flywheel bolts. Using the T50 Torx PLUS from snap-on (27.00) the last flywheel bolt head stripped out and I had to drill it out. So I am down 1 flywheel bolt which means my project is on hold until I can get another set. Any ideas on where I can get a set?

Up to this point the job has gone fine... those tranny guide pins don't want to give up though. I am thinking about replacing the lower tranny mounting studs with bolts to match the rest... I think it may be easier to get the tranny re-attached using those instead, but will will see. I asked my dealer if I could buy some of that Extra-S gear lube but they said the wouldn't so I am kinda in the air about what to put back into the tranny once I get it all back together. I have read so many forums on here about that topic it makes my head spin.

Oh yeah... one other pain... I accidently punctured a 1/2" coolant line on the left rear of the motor while prying on the tranny (dumb me, I didnt' see it) so I am either going to check subaru for a molded one, or just replace it with something from the parts store.

So that is the update... I got a lot of pictures I will be posted them after the project is complete.

Got the tranny back in tonight but noticed the main tranny mount was shot so instead of finishing up I order a tranny mount since it will be easier to replace while I got the care up.

Tranny went in soooo easy, I have done countless clutch jobs and this one by far was the easier to get back against the motor. Axles popped right back in as well. Couldn't be more pleased thus far putting this thing back together. I only wish I would have noticed that busted tranny mount earlier so I could have finished it, I miss driving her.

I forgot my camera tonight so I didn't get any pictures of the flywheel/clutch installed, sorry about that.

I will continue to get more as I finish up the project.

Doesn't the new clutch come with new bearings and an alignment tool?

My clutch started slipping this morning, can't drive the car until I get parts. Idk where to order though lol

The clutch kit comes with the the TOB and the Pilot bearing, and alignment tool.

I highly recommend ordering from Jeremy at Fred Beans Parts.

Just ordered all my stuff! Besides the TSK3.. do you have an update on that? I'm debating if I should order it or not.

I finished the car tonight and the everything feels great. I would wait to drop the tranny to see if the TSK is needed. Although my clutch pedal feels great it is hard to say if it is a huge improvement over what it was before. If you drop the tranny and your tranny shaft is not smooth and kinda boogered up, I would go ahead and order the TSK.

I just ordered a new set of flywheel bolts from my dealer... $3.36 x 8. They should be here tomorrow.

I also just order a 5 gallon drum of Extra-X... so if anyone is interest in purchasing quarts let me know.

Im interested in a couple of quarts of the extra s

where are you located?

Archived