LegacyGT.com

VDC Head Unit - Pricing (MP3 capability for those who care)

Brady

I, too, am distraught over the lack of MP3 capability. After looking at the options, I'm thinking the VDC unit might be my personal best option. I have no iPod, I already have a lot of CDs with MP3s, bought a box to play the same MP3 discs at the cabin, and don't like the idea of doing a lot of hacking or messing with FM Modulators (however, this is currently option 2).

I called Jamie (Subie Gal on Nabisco) and she said she'd go off-list for us if we wanted to get a group together. This would be $610.

I did some math and figure this wouldn't be too bad for me considering: A) I own no iPod, so that would be about $300ish, plus antenna cable, plus FM modulator, plus iPod accessories. B) It would be factory and I could control the playback features from the headunit instead of having to monkey with something in the center console or dash pocket when I want to change tracks and stuff. C) Would be the easiest installation and finally D) Would be the LEAST likely to be stolen.

So my question now is has anyone else found any better pricing on the unit? I think the part number is UP3 (what Jamie surmised it to be). If there isn't anything better for pricing out there, would anyone else be interested in buying this through Jamie (http://www.subarugenuineparts.com)?

It's been only 4 days and I'm starting to *gasp* enjoy radio ... this must be rectified!

- Brady

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear the VDC unit does display ID3 tags. I'm figuring that the premium cost of the VDC unit will probably be about $200 over the iPod setup (based on what my needs would be if I got an iPod).

I'm thinking I might have to take a VDC on a test drive .... even if I don't leave the dealer lot!

It does display the tags if you want or the track numbers. It does not have all of the bells whistles of an aftermarket head unit, but it does work quite well. My biggest complaint is that you have to reset it to random mode every time you go back to a CD. If you re listening to a CD and then the radio, when you go back to the MP3 CD it is o longer in random mode. Other then that it works great.

On another site Jamie is offering 25-30% off list for "genuine subaru parts" so what's the list price on the VDC unit and is $610 25-30% off?

it's about 15% off list price (list is 692). Bear in mind, Subaru marks up different items differently. Accessories (like rubber floor mats and STi short throws) are marked up more than replacement parts like head units. Jamie said this was the best price she could get us, which is why I was asking if anyone knew of somewhere we could do better.

Does anybody know if this is a simple "remove old stereo, slide new stereo in" job? I'm also in the same boat of wanting MP3s in my LGT but don't want to hack appart the stock stereo or run wires everywhere (and purchase a standalone MP3 player). I also couldn't find the VDC stereo for sale anywhere by itself. Any links/phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any resale value at all on our stock stereos (6-disc in-dash)?

Thanks,

Chris

It is a direct replacement. If you want, you can donate or sell at a discount (100-150) to me or someone else on the forum that would like to take the thing apart and try to figure out a way to get an input into the radio without using a blank CD like in other topics.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind as I move forward with this. I'd like to get a little more than that for an essentially brand new stereo but I do realize that it likely won't happen.

Chris

Can anybody point me in the right direction for a VDC head unit? I'm been scouring the net and can't seem to find one anywhere. I don't want to pay dealer prices. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

your only luck will be to find someone with a 2005 vdc outback who went aftermarket. most unlikely since they have the same integrated climate control radio we have, just mp3 abilities. If you're that desperate for mp3, just fork the 610. That's the cheapest I've seen.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered mine yesterday. Could see it as early as Monday. Supposedly I got the last one currently available in the US. :eek:

But I guess that just means it'll be up to a week and a half before they're replenished stateside.

P-201UE is what's listed on the front of the unit. The part number on the box says 86201AG63A. The description on the box says CD PLAYER CQ-EF1460L. When I ordered it, I just told Jamie that it was the MP3 player that's in the Outback VDC and she was able to look it up for me.

Chris

List price is $692, and the part number is 86201AG63A.

I purchased mine through Liberty Subaru, for $550 + shipping. I believe that figure is getting very close to dealer cost. (I tried to shop that price around to a more local dealer and they practically laughed me off the phone.)

Installation was a breeze and I'm quite pleased with the radio except for two things:

As mentioned before, the random/repeat play setting is reset whenever the radio changes mode or you turn off the ignition.

There is no ID3 tag support as far as I can tell, but it will display the folder and file names, up to 32 ASCII characters (i.e. the ISO-9660 long filenames standard).

Well, the irony is fitting. After I posted this, the VDC units have all been snatched up and the part I ordered won't be here for a few weeks. In the meantime, the dealer has already billed my credit card for a piece I don't have. I don't mind waiting, but I don't like being billed for something I can't get my hands on. So I'm a little frustrated right now and I'm contemplating just cancelling the order and reordering through Liberty if they'd honor the same price.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Archived