LegacyGT.com

TPMS sensor ID save location - Possible solution to our TPMS problems?

Hello all,

I've been kicking around this idea in my head after picking up a set of winter wheels and was wondering if it would work.

First, does anybody know if the TPMS sensor IDs are registered/stored in the TPMS computer/receiver? The one that's under the driver seat?

If it is, we could just buy a second computer, have a second set of TPMS sensors registered to it, and just swap computers when we swap wheels. Ideally, we'd have a switched 'Y' connector so we could just toggle between the two and not deal with taking the seat out to swap computers. The computer costs just over $50 and this would be a cheap solution to implement. Thoughts?

Mods: You can move this to the wheels/tires section if you wish, but I figured it would get more attention here.

This is a GREAT thought and would be a wonderful solution. I sure hope someone knows the definitive answers. I'm sure this will get plenty of attention. I hope to get rims this summer and have dedicated summer tires. Hopefully you have solved my problem.

Subscribed

I have a Nav system unit (the DVD part) under my driver's seat. Is the TPMS computer there as well?

That said, this could be a solution to this vexing issue, although it wouldn't surprise me to see a relatively cheap programming tool appear pretty soon. I'll stay tuned. HPH

How much you want to bet the TPMS computer is "married" to the BIU (body integrated unit) computer?

Hopefully not. A $50 part that allows folks to switch summer/winter wheels themselves sounds like not a bad deal.

--Lee

Subscribed.

Mods, please consider moving this to the Wheels/Tires forum, with the other TPMS threads, as the other members that have been looking into this problem and contributing may be able to help and may have not regularly check the general Legacy forum (thinking of Opie to come up with the part number for the ECU). This topic has come up numerous times, and this seems to be as close to a real solution as I have read about.

The only other solution that was suggested before that I have been considering was a manifold where the TPMS sensors are all mounted and then pressurized through regular air fitting. The rather large air bottle pictured in the other thread may not be needed (so it could be mounted in the spare tire well), and an aspiring inventor/machinist/engineer/vendor could come up with a very useful mod for a small investment in time and materials that would likely find a number of potential customers through this web site. My recession adjusted one and one half cents.

This is an interesting idea, especially if the computer is only around $50. Like ilh said, I wonder if this computer is integrated into the BIU. I would actually be surprised if that were the case because there are only a handful of manufacturers of the TPMS systems and they are shared across multiple car companies. The only other thing to worry about is if the sensor ID's are stored inside this computer then are the ID's saved even after unhooking the computer from the car? I have a feeling that won't get answered until someone decides to be a guinea pig and actually try this.

The only other solution that was suggested before that I have been considering was a manifold where the TPMS sensors are all mounted and then pressurized through regular air fitting.

It would be nice if that would work, however the sensors are normally off if they are stationary. They only turn on and transmit while the wheel they are mounted to is rolling (over 25mph). Just having them sit in something pressurized wouldn't work unless you could get them rotating fast enough to turn on as well

It would be nice if that would work, however the sensors are normally off if they are stationary. They only turn on and transmit while the wheel they are mounted to is rolling (over 25mph). Just having them sit in something pressurized wouldn't work unless you could get them rotating fast enough to turn on as well

Well, I guess this is where the accessory powered electric motor comes in;).

On another note, now that I have my winter tires installed on my Tarmac IIIs without TPMS, the TPMS sensor on the dash will begin flashing for about a minute before it comes on steady. With the stockers, it never flashed, as I recall, and only came on briefly during start up. Someone who still has the stockers with the TPMS please try this (or I will this spring, when the stockers go back on). Start your car and drive in a parking lot and never exceed 25 mph (would be lucky to hit 10, usually). Does your light go on, not go on, blink, not blink? If the TPMS doesn't start sending until 25 mph, is the default not to flash at all?

I would think the ECU would also have to be able to detect the presence of the TPMS unit prior to motion, otherwise I should have experienced the flashing prior to the tire/wheel swap (until of course I hit 25 mph). I think the fact that it is no longer within range to send a signal would let the ECU determine(by absence of a proximity signal) it is not present, hence the immediate flashing, to differentiate between the absence of the transmitter(flashing) versus one that has not yet been activated by speed(no flashing).

Anyways, enough with this and somebody please find a solution before I put my daughter's Hello Kitty sticker over the dashlight:lol:.

How much you want to bet the TPMS computer is "married" to the BIU (body integrated unit) computer?

Hopefully not. A $50 part that allows folks to switch summer/winter wheels themselves sounds like not a bad deal.

--Lee

IIRC it is integrated/wired in with the BIU and the Combination meter under the knee bolster area.

MSA5T0807A247260.pdf

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

(thinking of Opie to come up with the part number for the ECU). This topic has come up numerous times, and this seems to be as close to a real solution as I have read about.

Part number is 28103AG01B per Jeremy of Fred Beans. The cost of the computer itself isn't bad, but I'd rather not buy a second set of sensors and get them installed only to find out it won't work. Ideally, someone who works at a dealer would test the idea.

The GPS unit is pretty far towards the back, so I would suspect that the TPMS unit is either in front of it or partially under it.

Well, in light of the BIU comments, this may put the seat business to rest: In both our cars, the Nav unit loads CDs from the rear, and access to the Nav unit wiring (which I dealt with to do the grounding mod) is on its front side. There's nothing else down there, unless it's between the Nav and the console, or unless it's quite small. HPH

Every time I swap my wheels and ask the dealer to remarry the ECU w/ the 2nd set of TPMS, they never get it right. As soon as I'm on the highway, it starts blinking again. I even mentioned this to them, that I don't need it merely reset, it's a new set of sensors that need to be paired.

*sigh* at least they don't charge me for it, but it makes the 2nd set of sensors essentially worthless at this point. I wish Accessports or Open Source tuning programs could do this.

Every time I swap my wheels and ask the dealer to remarry the ECU w/ the 2nd set of TPMS, they never get it right. As soon as I'm on the highway, it starts blinking again. I even mentioned this to them, that I don't need it merely reset, it's a new set of sensors that need to be paired.

*sigh* at least they don't charge me for it, but it makes the 2nd set of sensors essentially worthless at this point. I wish Accessports or Open Source tuning programs could do this.

Me too, anyone with Software, Hardware, and intricate knowledge of how the Subaru Select Monitor system works??

• 1 month later...
The light doesn't bother me at all. I just ignore it. :lol:

Lol, I put a small piece of electrical tape over mine. It never worked right from the day I bought it. After multiple failed resync's, all 4 sensors being replaced, AND then the control module itself being replaced my problem remains. :spin:

Archived