Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

My ultimate goal is to make a Legacy CarPC "KIT". This kit will include trunk PC Case (fits in the trunk passenger side cavity)

Hope this sounds worthwhile...

Any chance you can do it for the driver side? Most Steakth boxes for audio set-up are already made for the passenger side. My 2 cents.

Very promising either way! It's also a good thing I didn't bought or built my sub encloser yet! :lol:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any chance you can do it for the driver side? Most Steakth boxes for audio set-up are already made for the passenger side. My 2 cents.

Very promising either way! It's also a good thing I didn't bought or built my sub encloser yet! :lol:

Yup! I'll be making enclosures for both sides. (I might as well make both sides, because I can make 2 at once.)

Ill keep you guys updated. Now that its STARTING to warm up, these things may really be able to soon be on the way.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

My ultimate goal is to make a Legacy CarPC "KIT". This kit will include trunk PC Case (fits in the trunk passenger side cavity) w/trunk carpeting to match. Cubby Bezel w/universal mounting brackets (to support both Xenarc & Lilliput). & Competitive pricing...

Anyone interested?

How do you plan to make this bezel and mounting brackets? And is this something that will take years to finish or do you think you'll be done in next few months?

The bezel, I have already made. I plan to make more by hand until I can get a mold made.

The mounting brackets that I speak of will just be aluminum bars that will attach to the back of the bezel to pinch the screen in place (both Xenarc & Lilliput). This eliminates the need to permanently affix the screen in the bezel (like my currently epoxied-in screen).

I am making bezels by hand right now upon request, and plan to do full production hopefully soon (month maybe).

DSC01512.jpg.aeacfbbeb89726236abd651c28c120f7.jpg

Picture of my bezel

DSC01513.jpg.797e4e0a1aa08f47d8f5f9c8d677050a.jpg

DSC01517.jpg.673b71a62e557865301d6e8861c14ac3.jpg

With map selector running

DSC01516.thumb.jpg.92e79fc2359fbe7db44beabbfbc489c8.jpg

Left cubby vent. This is where I put my IR sensor. It is about 6" back, impossible to see from any angle. Nice for using the remote, without having to mount the sensor in a viewable place.

DSC01504.jpg.df3ae33c7575358b2750d7e8986bff27.jpg

Trunk enclosure (masking tape is temporary, to hold the carpet to the front of the acrylic.

DSC01506.jpg.05ea588b76087d740ba01283add0e4d0.jpg

DSC01509.jpg.11a5b9cf58f60a71f016fae8e0b0d181.jpg

The computer's "hinged" door. Swings down for easy access, then back up into place. Acrylic held in place with 3 screws into "L" brackets. 3 quick screws to get through (may replace with thumb screws in the future, but this is more visually appealing as they are hidden with the cover on).

DSC01507.jpg.24b89899dfac62a879be0bc57b49cb53.jpg

Picture of the carpet on the enclosure. Not properly attached (has a line of velcro around the entire enclosure to hold, I just tucked it back in for quick pic purposes)

DSC01515.jpg.9fd41c4a758797896e1c7aef4883a4f3.jpg

Last pic is of my USB hub in my armrest cubby. Works out well there. I have it down low enough that I can plug in pretty much anything, and it clears the armrest, so that it can close.

Conclusion:

Pictures dont do these items justice. The bezel is pretty darn good, I even gave it a fine textured finish. The trunk case is almost un-noticable. The carpet color could be closer, but I was shooting in the dark when ordering a color.

SO....WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??

Hey man, sorry I didnt reply to your PM yet.

The fiberglass work took me probably 3 days total for the enclosure. 1 day for the fiberglassing, then almost another day to fully dry. Then another day for the trimming, painting exterior black, and mounting the acrylic front and securing brackets.

Hah thanks. I have 2 more screen cases that I want to turn into bezels, but I cant get my hands on enough cubbys!

I'll keep 'em coming though. I'm going to be re-doing a lot of this hopefully this weekend. Tidy up the trunk case a bit and permanently affix the carpet to the case. I also plan on putting a black mesh grill over the fan, to hide it some as well.

From a mold or by hand?

I'm looking to make them by hand until I can get a mold made. If you're looking for one, I'd be happy to make one.

I really enjoy this stuff, hah. Surprising, as it took me 15+ hours to make this bezel.

You know it's funny, you were one of the people whose work inspired me!

I decided to hide the controls for a more flush OEM look. I dont need them now anyways, as the screen is auto-power on and I have the IR accessible for remote use. but thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!

You know it's funny, you were one of the people whose work inspired me!

I decided to hide the controls for a more flush OEM look. I dont need them now anyways, as the screen is auto-power on and I have the IR accessible for remote use. but thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!

Yes!

I think we inspired each other!

It is good that this thread is attracting more and more people showing their great work.

Agreed. I'm trying to get even more involved, by making the bezels for them. I love having a CarPC, wish everyone could have it, but most dont have the time to devote to this stuff.

Or they end up with a project that is ongoing for a year, and still not finished.

BUMP for inspiring others to start/finish their projects!

(psssst....if any of you guys/girls need a bezel or case PM me)

Just acquired another spare Cubby, so expect another cubby bezel coming ASAP.

Would someone mind sending me the EXACT dimensions of the Xenarc 7" screen?

I mean once it's disassembled, just the dimensions of the LCD (testing fitment, hoping that my bezel will be universal to both Lilliput's like mine, and Xenarcs like some of yours).

Check this out...

http://www.america.htc.com/products/shift/default.html

The site is short on specs, but it looks like it's not much bigger than the 7" display.

I dream of cutting my car's radio display from the climate controls, jumpering all of the cut PCB traces, folding the radio part back (so it's still present and connected, just out of sight), and installing a 7" LCD where the radio display sits now. If the HTC Shift is as small as the pictures (and doesn't suck...), the whole thing might fit up there in the dash.

Speechless BMAC. You have out OEMed Subaru. That navi bezel seriously looks made in Japan on a production line. You have my utmost respect.

Now I really have to go back to my initial post and edit things into a Table of Contents.

Speechless BMAC. You have out OEMed Subaru. That navi bezel seriously looks made in Japan on a production line. You have my utmost respect.

Now I really have to go back to my initial post and edit things into a Table of Contents.

Hah, well that's the plan. These will hopefully soon actually be from a production line, and hopefully cheap.

I'll be posting more pictures this weekend, as I am re-wiring the entire car for my new PSU.

Anyone considering trying to retrofit an AppleTV box to be a CarPC? Someone already installed OSX on it and it turned out not to be that weak of a machine.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=220620&doc2=207274

For $300, it might be the cheapest/smallest solution available...if it can be made to run Windows.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

I didn't see you mention it, but are you making the bezel to Xenarc or Lilliput size?

I had the idea to offer to make mine for people when trdvibe was having problems with the person who made hers, but I didn't have the time to do it.

Im in the works of trying to produce a Xenarc and Lillput universal bezel. The problem is that I dont have the cash to buy a Xenarc just for testing, and doubt anyone is willing to let me borrow theirs.

If anyone has the EXACT measurements of the screen size (just the physical screen) that would be awesome.